Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law just handed me an interesting project. It is a carbine in .38 caliber labeled Navy arms. It looks similar to an 1866 Winchester. There are no other markings other that what appears to be proof marks on the barrel. The carbine lever will not close nor will the weapon function. The side plate screws seem to be under tension and I am reluctant to break off a screw attempting to remove them. I am seeking some advise on disassembly and a parts schematic. Do any of you guys have experience with this weapon?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,350 Posts
Take all the wood off, and soak what's left in kerosene / diesel for oh, a week or so. That is how I'd start.

Post pics if you can.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,

I found parts at Taylors Firearms in Va. Their site had a good schematic diagram too. I found that the lever spring screws were apparently glued in place as I broke off two of my gunsmith's screwdrivers trying to get them loose. I used a fly tying torch to warm up the screws which loosened them up enough to get them out without further drama. The problem was a sheared cam lever pin and missing cam lever. I have placed the parts on order and stripped the carbine for a good clean up, polish and lube. The carbine seems to be well made where it counts.

·
Registered
571 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts