Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coyotes are getting to be a problem in NC and not many people are taking the opportunity to take advantage of the challenge to nail these wiley critters. But I'm getting pretty serious about it. Yesterday I was out setting a new hide and repairing a couple of others. I had taken along my Rock River M4 to check zero on the new ACOG site I mounted this past Fall. I decided to sit in the new blind to see how comfortable it was and get a feel for my field of view. I reached in my pocket and pulled out my hurt rabbit call and decided to blow it a little. Ten minutes had not gone by before I saw movement on the other side of the field. Soon 3 coyotes were pacing the woodline watching in my direction. It was about 150 yards. I drew up the M4 and had a clear shot. A car approached on the roadway which caused the critters to freeze and divert their attention. I couldn't have timed it better. Two of them were lined up side to side less than 5 yards between. I got the shot off and put both down with the Hornady 75gr Match HP. I've only taken 2 deer with 1 shot once in my life, now I have 2 coyotes with 1 shot. It was certainly a productive day!

·
Banned
415 Posts
Nice shooting!

Coyotes are really a great gig to help keep you in shape in the off season. You can't hunt 'em like mad, they're smart, and you don't have to worry about driving them to extinction if you have a good day and manage to nail several.

Anybody who hunts big game in any fashion usually hunts prarie dogs (or whatever their little pest might happen to be), but an awful lot of them miss out on the opportunity to extend their season by hunting dogs. It's a shame!

·
Banned
35 Posts
I too spend alot of time shooting coyotes in the winter. I have never shot two in one shot before, but I did happen to shoot 4 at one time about 10 years ago. I was set up on a huge open hillside with a couple of draws running down below me. I called for a bit and saw a lot of movement in all directions. I had 6 coyotes come in at one time from all directions and I let them get to about 40 yards before I shot the first one. The last one I got at about 400 yards! Best day I ever had. The best winter I ever had I shot 86 coyotes from the first of December to the end of February! All with my 22-250.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts