Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently invested in cast bullet equipment, I was just going to press the buy now key on a lee universal neck expander die when I thought hold on I've got something that'll do that, cue.
Material property Tints and shades Font Metal Gun accessory

These two punches, one a taper punch, the other a large centre punch work fine, the taper punch does for my 223, 30/30 and 308 the centre punch is good for 30 cal up to 45/70 though that case goes almost to the top of the taper on the punch. The two cases have been treated!
The permanent marks on the shank of the tool remind me how deep to hit them in 223 and 308/30/30 on the tapered punch and 30 cal on the centre punch/
Gas checked cast bullets of the sized calibers enter the case necks far enough to hold them securely for seating.
Saved enough to buy a can of blue dot!
BTW it would appear to be faster than the press mounted expander as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just as a matter of interest, the centre punch on the right of the image also expands 38 special and 357 mag, I don't think that a 44 mag can be done as it would appear that the punch hits the base of the case.
Doesn't concern me as I sold off my pistol cal rifles some time ago.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
I admire your ingenuity, and appreciate your cheapskatedness.
Precision application of your punches becomes the "key" to success expanding whatever you intend.
Need to treat and expand your cases uniformly to get consistent results.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CW I thought about that, but figured at the end of the day all the effort of ensuring uniformity will be lost by the application of the Lee factory crimp.
TBH I intended to only use this method for cast bullets and, whilst I mentioned it in passing, I did not specifically state it.
TBH, I'll probably only use it on my 30/30 and 223 for cast bullets as I have a large stache of jacketed bullets that can be used in the 308.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Brass life would be the concern to me. Over-expanding will take a toll.

Edit: Occurs to me I might seem a bit too critical. Sorry about that.
I think you are doing great. You are reloading your own ammunition, and having fun doing it.
Making your own tools and thinking it through.
Muey Bravo, damnit!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts