Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a neck sizing die on 30-30 cases to make up for excessive head space on the Marlin 336? If so, did it work?
Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
“Has anyone used a neck sizing die on 30-30 cases to make up for excessive head space on the Marlin 336? If so, did it work?
Thanks for any responses.”

In general terms this will prove unsatisfactory when using full power hunting loads.
What are your visual indications of excessive headspace?

Moderator, should this post be moved to Handloading Procedures where it might be more visable?

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Is also listed in the Winchester 94 forum when the OP is asking about a Marlin 336?

I partial size for reloads in my 94 and have no trouble. Push them just far enough into a full-length die to size the neck to my bullet seating depth in my rifle. I'm shy of the shoulder near a 10th of an inch by eyeball.

Important part is to crimp so as to keep the bullet from moving fore or aft in a tube magizine.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
How much necksizing will help will depend on how much of a headspace problem you have. If the excess headspace is slight, more along the lines of a "generously sized" chamber, it may work out fine. If it's much more than that, it may not help you at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts