Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I neck sized some once fired Rem brass in my .270 yesterday. Sizing started about a penny-width above top of shoulder. Tried to chamber the empty cartridges and the bolt wouldn't close. I switched to my fullsize dies and just screwed the die in a 1/4 turn past shell holder contact to bump shoulder a tad and they chambered fine.

This brass was all once fired in the same rifle. This was the first time I tried to neck size and didn't expect a chambering issue. Does this indicate a long chamber or headspace? Rifle is a Rem 700 circa 1984.

Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Neck sizing

Set your neck sizing die,the same way you did the FL die.They should chamber.In fact fired cases should go back in,unless there is a build up of carbon around the neck and chamber.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I normally smoke a case and then neck size half way to the shoulder. If you push the shoulder back or if you have not trimmed then it could result in a chambering issue

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
These cases measured 2.538-2.530" after I pushed back the shoulder. I trimmed all down to 2.530". I just don't understand why they didn't chamber in the gun they were fired in originally after I neck sized. I need to check my other once fired brass that hasn't been re-sized yet.

Chamber is clean. I use a plastic .45 cal brush to clean it out then mop it out. No pitting or surface rust.

I thought the whole idea with neck sizing was to not push back the shoulder in order to minimize brass working and to have a case that is customized to your chamber?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Joe O. - Check your Private Messages (PM's) in the upper right hand corner of the page. Just click on the "Private Messages" icon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
These cases measured 2.538-2.530" after I pushed back the shoulder. I trimmed all down to 2.530". I just don't understand why they didn't chamber in the gun they were fired in originally after I neck sized.
Me neither, especially since they were all fired in that particular rifle and they're trimmed.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Catskill,

Your problem is standard for a full length sizing die adjusted to betwixt and between. If a full length sizing die is backed off in an effort to neck size a case this is what happens:
The mouth of the case comes in contact with the start of the neck sizing of the die. So far so good.

As the case starts up further into the die, the body of the case starts to touch the die. This is where the problem starts.

When a case is fired it expands in all directions. If the rifle has a tight chamber this situation may never arise. If the rifle has a large chamber, the body of the case comes in contact with the die and starts to be resized.

The die while sizing the body, that brass has to go some place, so the case gets longer.

At this point it's not unusual for a case to be longer than the head space of the chamber.

It is this extra length that will not allow the bolt to close.

In a properly adjusted die the same condition may happen but is corrected when the case is sized for full length as the shoulder is moved back.

IMHO I don't think a full length sizing die sizes enough of the neck to have a good friction hold of the bullet. So I adjust the FL die as it should be adjusted and buy a neck sizing die and can size as much of the neck as I wish to. I hope that this is of some help.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would also like to ad that you should full length resize once after firing in your rifle ! Also , you will need to check your case length and trim to about .010 " under recommended trim to length , after again FL sizing . I have gotten 4-5 firings between trims .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies.

I cleaned some cases last nite and got some time this morning to re-trace my steps thru this. I was using a neck sizing die, Redding, and I installed the die till it was touching the shell holder. I then screwed it down another 3/4 turn and locked it up. I lubed up my necks and ran the press thru a complete stroke. I did this to 5 cases. All 5 cases chambered without any difficulty in this same rifle.

All I can figure is that the brass I ran thru the other day was mis-labeled and that they came from my friend's .270 who I reload for. I have been reloading for two years now and have always full-length re-sized for both of our .270's. I was always very careful to keep all brass labeled and seperated in seperate containers even though I F/L resized because I knew that I wanted to start neck-sizing at some point. I always had good results with F/L re-sizing so I was never in a hurry to switch.

Now, I NEED to finish the other 35 cases so I can go check out the results.

Again, thanks. I'll keep you posted on the results of this.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,712 Posts
You can have a problem trying to neck-size with a full-length die, as BigBob explained. I have seen this myself. The shoulder squeezes forward.

If you have not seen this in the past, the die may not have been adjusted to the exact same spot. Or this brand of brass was a little more or little less springy, etc.

I would suggest setting your full-length sizer to push the shoulder back 0.001" or 0.002" and do that instead of what you are doing. The brass will last a fair amount of sizings and the loads will chamber easily. There are several gages on the market (I use the RCBS Precision Mic) or you can make your own by drilling a hole through an old nut that the case neck will fit it, but won't drop past the shoulder.

If you are interested in neck-sizing only, I would suggest the Lee Collet dies.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
What are your reasons for neck sizing?

I have neck sizing dies in several calibers, and small base dies in several more.

Neck sizing is fine for loads I use for practice, especially the very low end stuff with Trail Boss. I learned the hard way that they are not for hunting loads in some cases, and I no longer do that, ever.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are your reasons for neck sizing?

I have neck sizing dies in several calibers, and small base dies in several more.

Neck sizing is fine for loads I use for practice, especially the very low end stuff with Trail Boss. I learned the hard way that they are not for hunting loads in some cases, and I no longer do that, ever.
I wanted to get more loads out of my brass so I wanted to start a necksize study to see if I was going to get more loads between trimming. I was going to load up some SSTs at the same OAL that I have been loading them at when I use the F/L die.

I load 140g Accubonds for my hunting loads and screw down the F/L die 1/2 turn past shellholder contact with excellent results. I've found that the Hornady SST's have a very close POI at 100 and 200 yds. Because the SST's are cheaper I practice with them.

If you are interested in neck-sizing only, I would suggest the Lee Collet dies.
What is the advantage of the Lee Collet dies over the Redding Neck Sizing die that I currently have?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts