Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Hornady 2-die set reloading 7mm Rem. mag. with 140gr Nosler AB. I am use new Remington case which I FL sized. The neck tension was not enough to hold the bullet securely. Also after seating I noticed a round ring scratch just below the plastic tip (1/16-inch). To solve the neck tension problem (or atleast it seemed to solve), I loosened the the die lock ring and backed up the seating a good portion. Screwing the die down on the round I took it another turn or so. This seemed to put some type of crimp on the round. (firing gun will be a bolt action)

Being new to reloading [/U]I am wondering is this normal, neck tension not holding securely enough (I could back bullet out with a tight finger pinch and a pull on case a few tousands at a time slipping off and doing it again). I purchased the die set and brass back in the 80's, wow 20 something years latter I'm finally learning to reload.

I also ask if maybe I should just go ahead and get RCBS dies? I also have the lee factory crimp die for my handgun cartriages, should I consider getting one for my 7 mag.
Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris, (and all else)

Thanks a bunch, makes sence the way you explain it. I'll give it a try. My calipers are starrett but old ones.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.