Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, which I've posted on a couple of other boards (HuntAmerica and TFL), and one of the other responders suggested I post it hear.  I've got a new 7-30 Waters bbl. for my contender and want to use nickeled cases (easier to see when I drop 'em in the field).  Midway has Federal nickeled 7-30 Waters cases for about &#3656/100, and Remington nickeled .30-30 cases for half that.  Since the .30-30 is the parent case to the 7-30, can I neck-down the nickeled cases just like I've done the brass ones without worry?  I know that nickel is harder than brass, so I wonder if I'd actually end up shortening case life.  Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?  Thanks.

Doug444

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You can porbably do it, but I would expect to see the nickel to start to flake off sooner than normal.  Also, forget annealing if you use nickel.  While the nickel is harder than brass, it is way softer than even the cheapest reloading die or trimmer.  I have been using nickel cases for over 32 years without the slightest problem, but, I have never formed nickel.  It has been my experience with nickel cases that they start to flake at the mouth most often, probably as a result of sizing, expanding, and belling, and while this makes the cases look bad, it does not affect the strength of the case at all from what I understand.  By forming nickel cases I would expect the nickel to start peeling off almost immediately in the heavy formed area.  Personally, I would just stick with brass and not worry about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts