Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having great difficulty in developing an accurate target load for my Sprinfield 45 ACP. Been using 3.5 - 4.2 gn of Bullseye behind a cast 200 gn SWC. (.451 dia). Need guidance from a dedicated bullseye shooter. Wondering whether or not going to a heavier bullet at .452 will help. Any suggestions pm bullets and powder welcomed.

magman

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your interested in a different powder I've had good luck with both Winchester 231 and Hodgdon Clays. I don't know what brand of lead bullet your using but I usually get more improvement with a different lead bullet than changing powders. I did notice that the load range your using is below the minimum charge listed in some of my reloading manuals. Is it possible your loads with Bullseye are simply to light? My fellow shooters use yet several other powders in their 45's with good results as well.

I use the old rule of thumb on lead bullet diameter i.e. .001" over when using lead. My bullet maker doesn't offer any diameter in 45 other than .452".

It sounds like you know what you're doing so I guess you'll just have to keep trying other loads until you find the one that works. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Magman said:
Having great difficulty in developing an accurate target load for my Sprinfield 45 ACP. Been using 3.5 - 4.2 gn of Bullseye behind a cast 200 gn SWC. (.451 dia). Need guidance from a dedicated bullseye shooter. Wondering whether or not going to a heavier bullet at .452 will help. Any suggestions pm bullets and powder welcomed.

magman
Magman,
I have been using 5.0 gr of 231 and it is a very accurate,
clean load. During a recent fun, law enforcement shoot
it placed me into Expert class, so it can't be all that bad.
Good luck, Art

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mag, and Gentlemen,

I had a few troubles with the first 50 or so 200 Grain lead Speer SWCs, in a load very similiar to the one you have mentioned. They shot straight enough, but they didn;t function to suit me, so they ended up on top of some 45 L.Cs.

I don't shoot in bullseye matches, but do combat style shoots now and again, and use 230 grain hardball, over 6.4 grains of Hogden Universal. Does a good job, and doesn't seem to dirty the gun as much.

Good shooting.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
May find that going to .452" bullets may be of help. Most .45acp barrels will show a bit of leading at the breech end of the rifling, just ahead of the chamber. Usually doens't build up to much, but doesn't do accuacy any good being there. A little larger bullet can help reduce this lead deposit as most of it gets there by blow-by (gas cutting).

Have a side beneifit of a little tigher bullet/barrel combination helping to raise pressure a tiny bit...wich in loads like these helps assure functioning.

Shot bulleye for a few years, using a pair of Clark 1911's (one in .38WC). The .45 required 4.0gr. of BE for sure functioning with the 185's popular then. Moving up to .453" didn't hurt accuracy at all, went loger between cleanings, and allowed functioning at 3.8gr.

The Wad cutter gun was an earlier effoirt (Clark at least use to stamp the date on the bottom of the slide...this one was worked over in 1963) and a bit balky...had the lockign lugs still working and a heavy rib, so it took a bit more power to get her to cycle with reliability. Found 2.7gr. of Bullseye made the smallest benchrest groups, but to run that load would have to wax the cases to increase the breech thrust. 3.1gr. with a solid base worked almost as well, but didn't require the wax-job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thnk you may be a little light. My Speer # 11 (out of date but still useful) shows 4.2 gr. Bullseye as a starting load for the 200 gr. SWC, going up to 4.6. This is for swaged bullets but should be about the same for cast, or so I've found. You might try a bit more powder and check your results. You might also check your crimp. A light taper crimp is perfect. Do you have a taper crimp die?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts