Shooters Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Many folks have an opinion, so I might as well add my 2 cents also. From my gun room I can pick just about any caliber (except 270) I might want from 22 to 45, and I'm speaking of rifles. For varmint I usually take one of my Thompson Encore's, but they would work okay for smaller deer also if you were careful with your shot placement, and that should go without saying. I have a 22-250 T/C with a scope and rifle length barrel, I have the same thing in 204 Ruger and 223. I also have a few heavier calibers, but you are after something with limited recoil. There is no reason to have a heavy rifle if you are using calibers under 25, because most of these rifle calibers don't recoil all that much any way. Do you have a friend you can borrow a rifle from to check how it's recoil affects you? I think my choice would be a 22-250, both of mine are deadly accurate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks guys! I'm still riding the fence between the .223 or .22-250. May try a .243. When I was a young sprout I used to pack the biggest rifle I could afford. At one point I had a .35 Whelan and a .338 magnum. I remember I went on an elk hunt out around Humptulips, WA where I lived with a bunch of family members of a good friend of mine. An old timer in the group carried an old Win. 94 30-30 and we younger guys sure teased him about it. A few hours into the hunt I heard a shot over in the big timber. We hustled over to find the old geezer sitting on a nice bull elk. We broke out the packs and I carried a front quarter out to the road. Man that was heavy. Anyway, the old guy never said a word or rubbed our noses in it.. That probably made it all the worse. Just smoked his pipe while we younger guys did the work. :) I learned a valuable lesson that day. I ended up hunting with an old Carl Gustav 6.5x55mm that had been modified by Kimber. Amazing rifle. Amazing caliber. I have a friend who shoots a .243. I may ask him to shoot it for a free trip to the range. (Yeah I'll splurge for the $5.00 fee for him) :) I am close to getting a new knee put in. I doubt I'll be roaming hill and dale. Most likely I'll find a spot and sit for the day with a jug of water and field glasses. Any excuse to get me the heck out of the house. Sitting around the house will guarantee a shorter life. Watching TV is making me stupid.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hello Toad and welcome to the forum.

I can't say much for hunting but if you want a light rifle I like the Bushmaster Carbon 15. If you get a good muzzle break it's like shooting a 22lr. The newer versions of the gun seem to have a lot of the issues worked out.

Hope you can work in an enjoyable hunting trip soon.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
My neck isn't in the best condition and I need a rifle with near zero recoil.
I never thought the .22-250 recoiled enough to be a problem, but with heavier bullets, it's noticeably more than a .223 in rifles of equal weight. Not a killer by any means, but more for sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
need a light rifle

Toad 45 I sympathize with you. I'm in my 70's with 2 make believe knees, 3 lumbar discs, 2 thoracic discs, and 3 cervical discs all in trouble. Sometimes even the vicoden extra strength doesn't relieve the pain. First off let me say that you should reload to tailor your ammo to what you can handle. While I have no experience with the 7mm-08 or the 260 Rem. I can tell you that the 6.5x55 and the 7x57 have very little recoil. My buddy has a Chilean calvary carbine That weighs under 7 lbs. with a peep sight. With the steel military butt plate there is very little felt recoil. With the Decelerator recoil pad he installed he can shoot boxes of 7mm 140 gr reloads at 2600 fps with a short sleeve shirt with no ill effects. As far as performance, it's been taking game from chipmunks to elephants foe over 100 yrs. and you don't need premium bullet to do it. Old fashion cup and core work just fine.

·
Registered
714 Posts
don't think that the desert deer are tiny have taken 150 lb desert deer in new mex ,,cool to see the needles of the prickly pear cactus pulled out and the half moon shape cut out from the deer…second the 7mm 08

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Looks like the thread is for a "light kicking" rifle rather than a "light weight" rifle. Recoil can be tamed by recoil pads, mercury recoil reducers, an (unless you're prejudiced against them) muzzle brakes.

I just got the Colorado brochure for Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goats. I'm in my 70s and should I draw a license for one of both, I'll take my Weatherby Mark V Ultralight Accumark .270 Win that weighs 5 1/4 lb (7 1/4 w/scope & sling) up the mountain.:) I've got max preference points for both, but unlike the drawings for deer, elk, etc. the licenses don't go to the applicants with the most points, but are manipulated to give newer applicants a chance, leaving those of us who have been applying for many years at a disadvantage.:mad: I'm hoping to draw before I can no longer get up the mountains to them and have already communicated with an outfitter I know who is willing to get me in and out again.:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
You didn’t mention a rifle type preference so my first recommendation is a savage 99 in 250 savage. Or a Ruger American in dare I say it? 6.5 Creedmore. Both are plenty of gun for the game you mentioned and are very light in the recoil department. Good luck in your search and keep hunting as long as you physically can. It is good for the soul.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,304 Posts
He was on the fence Five years ago, and hasn't been back since.
If he's still on the fence, he has a fence problem. ;)

Reactions: TMan and JBelk
21 - 31 of 31 Posts