Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm developing loads for my 416 rigby. I'm trying to find as load as quickly as possible because of the price of this caliber. I have 5 diffferent load books that are giving me 5 different answers for the same bullet. I'm using jamison brass trimmed to 2.80. Federal 215m primers. Hornady 400 dgx soft point and h4831sc. My manuals go from a low at 93 gns start up to 107 max. They say that these are developing pressure under 45000 even at max. Problem is hornady says max is 99gns and hodgon says it 102. Lee says 107. I loaded a small batch at 101gn with oal at 3.60. The gun is a ruger #1. Before I go shoot I'm curious if you guys have any software that could guess as to where the pressure will be? Thanks for any help you can give.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
The Barnes #5 manual shows 92 gr of H4831 at 2272 fps as a start load and 100.0 gr at 2392 fps max loading for a 400 gr Barnes bullet. It appears around 100 - 102 gr should be considered max for this cartridge.

Your #1 is a pretty stout action, so I'd say any published data you care to chose would work.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, but the lee book is showing 107 max for the exact bullet I'm using while the hornady book is showing 99 for the same. Hodgon is in the middle with 102 max. I know that hornady is normally on the ultra safe side with their data, but I've never seen that much of a difference with a cartridge.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Someone should give the conservative answer, so I will. Gunchamp, the sensible way of choosing the safe load -- and the most time-consuming -- is to start with the mildest data and work up gradually towards the top. Odds are, you wil find the "sweet spot" before you hit the top.

Any prediction of where that sweet spot will be is purely a guess, although I am sure there are many here who can make a well-educated one. As far as safety for shooter and gun, I am sure your #1 will stand up to any published load from a recognized source.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply. I am aware of load development, but the 416 rigby info out there is conservative for some of the older guns. The #1 will take it but I'm trying to get more loads out of brass than a couple. Basically I'm curious if anyone has a guess where the pressure will fall with this load. I want the regular 2400 fps load but want to try to make the brass last. The book says that this load will give about 2450fps. Thanks

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I can't say on the pressure, but do note that Lee does NO pressure testing. They merely copy data from somewhere else. I'd discount their numbers.

Use your bullet maker's data as the primary source because bullets can have a huge effect. Check their data against the powder maker's and use the lower of the two if there's a huge mismatch.

For your load, the difference between Hornady and Hodgdon is only about 4%. Frankly, I'd load 95 grains and see what the chronograph says. If it's much below 2400 fps, try 97 grains, and then if you still aren't happy, 99. That's only 15 shots.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
You have already invested much in the rifle,ammunition, and tools (to re-load for it).
It's gonna get cheaper now (so long as you don't blow it all up).

Start low and work up as you would with anything else. Find a load that does what you want (or several). Hoard the componants that work well, and use the ones that don't in something else (or trade/sell them).

Load development is going to use some componants up. No real short-cuts to that. Done once and well, then you have something!

Your OP has only H-4831 as powder. Maybe/maybe NOT? I'm on your side though. Hope it works first try:).

Cheezywan

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm open to other powders. I chose h4831sc because it seems stable and is used in all the load manuals. The numbers being used by hodgon and hornady are using the same bullet. They both have a 400gn hornady soft point listed. That is whats confusing me. The only thing I can figure is the hornady stated the 400gn dgx. The hodgon stated 400gn hornady soft point. Maybe they are 2 different bullets? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts