Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,im new here and need a little info.i shoot a long action savage 110 22-250.im not interested in remingtons tikkas or any other rifle than my savage.im looking at an er shaw 26 in replacement for my old friend.are shaw barrels decent?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
According to the information I've found they are a reputable barrel maker with quality products. Just ordered a custom chambering for a Savage 110 from them last week. Will take till October before it arrives so there led times are four to five months. Don't exactly know what your definition of 'decent' is or what it relates too. Do you mean accuracy? Fit? Finish? You need to be more specific in what else you want to know.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
For what it's worth, I needed a Savage barrel a while back and just bought whatever Midway had on sale. Don't even know the brand. It ended up just fine.

If you want the best chance of super accuracy, then it doesn't hurt to go to one of the brand names. Will cost a little more, probably a little more accurate. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
If you want to go a step further, the other custom barrel makers often let you choose the barrel grade. You'd have to call them to see if they can chamber it for you without having the gun? They should be able to for the Savage, since you set the headspace with a headspace gauge and the barrel nut.

The advantage to going this route is they will let you specify the grade. Douglas, for example, will let you choose to buy a barrel from a blank that was extra straight and that was air-gauged to be within a ten thousandth of nominal diameter throughout the length of the bore. You can pick how much you want to pay that way.

I've had the experience of getting a less expensive replacement that had a bore that wandered about twenty thousandths off straight in the center, but I've had good ones that were cheap Garand barrels, too.

·
The Shadow
7,982 Posts
I've had a couple of E.R. Shaws, one of which was my 264 Win Mag.
They are a very nice product, and honestly I don't think that the bulk of the shooters; could tell the difference between them and a "reputable" maker.

·
Registered
312 Posts
lazydog,

If you don't mind here are some different ideas. If the leadtime at Shaws is until Oct. I would not give up my varmint rifle in the summer unless I had another to use right now. If you do then fine.

If you like tell us whats wrong with the barrel you have now. For instance I have improved many barrels by cleaning them with an abrasive barrel cleaner and also fixed others by recrowning them myself. Its easy to recrown a barrel.

I clean with patches a brush and then a fine bore paste on a patch thats on a smaller brush.

Another idea is to get a Savage barrel. Frequently the leadtime from factorys is not bad. I would buy the barrel from Savage myself and install it myself what with the easy to do barrel nut system that Savage has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I've had a Savage 110 rebarreled with an E.R. Shaw barrel and I've been totally pleased with what I've got, price, quality and value-wise.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Although they aren't saying, most scuttlebutt has Midway's A&B barrels made by Shaw. The one's I've bought, both A&B and Shaw have been fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
About 2yrs ago, I had a local gunsmith order a Douglas Premium Air Gage Heavy taper ( #9 ) for my Savage 110 in 223. He got it Fast through Brownells. I think it was like $360.00 shipped. The thing I like about it, it seems to like most ammo, very consistent shooter. VM.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I put on a mcgowan pre threaded barrel on my savage and it shoots very well. Fair price and fast service. I have several shaw barrel's are they are a very good product also. But mcgowan gets them to you faster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have rebarreled a number of my Savage 110's using barrels from Sharp Shooters Supply. They have barrels from Douglas (approx $325) and from Brux (approx $405). They arrived fairly quick and the quality was very good. They also shoot accurately. The barrels I used were Douglas so I cannot comment about the Brux.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have seen the term "air-gauged" on ads for barrels and do not know exactly what it means, can someone explain exactly what this means and how it's done?
Maybe a link to a video showing it.

Thank You
Michael Grace

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
I believe it is just a type of automated pneumatically operated bore gauge that measures bore diameter within a ten thousandth of an inch down the whole length of the bore. It is a check of the dimensional accuracy of the bore. Douglas uses this method to sort their best blanks from their less perfect ones. Most bore makers get a range of results off the drilling and reaming and land forming operation.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had my Remington 264 rebarreled with a 30" stainless steel Shilen heavy barrel 3/4 in dia at the muzzle. The total cost was $740 and that included my gunsmith bead blasting the barrel,crowning at 11degrees and glass beding the chamber area for extra support and free floating the rest of the barrel. It does everything I expected it to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts