Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to all of you who responded to my previous post. It seems, from responses on this and other forums, that the Marlin 39A and the Ruger 77/22 have gotten the most favorable reviews from those responding. Since the prices of the two are comparable, I believe that I will purchase one of these. My next question is this: When I go to my local dealer and he has six 39A's and six 77/22's (all new) sitting on the rack, how do I choose the one to buy? Does anyone have any advice on what to look for when comparing one rifle against another of the same make? If not, is it just a crap shoot and merely by luck I might choose one that is more accurate than another, or visa versa? Given that I won't be able to test fire any of the rifles, is there anything more that I can do to satisfy myself that I have chosen the best among the six available? Thanks, DGR

·
Registered
88 Posts
DGR,
Consider yourself fortunate to be able to "pick and choose" among a number of guns of the same make and model. In the past i have had shops order guns for me only to be disappointed with wood figure, overall finish etc. In order to live up to my end of the deal, i always buy what i had ordered for me. As far as myself, when faced with multiple guns of same make, model and caliber, i consider the following:
1/Does the wood have a figure and finish that i find appealing
2/Does the action feel relatively smooth and "positive" (subject to "break-in" after a small amount of use)
3/Does the safety operate smoothly and "positive"
4/Trigger pull- "creepy and mushy" or "short and crisp"
(ALWAYS ask the shop owner IF you may dry-fire)
5/Overall wood to metal fit.
6/Overall finish of metal components.
As far as actual accuracy, it probably is a "crap shoot" unless the gun is used and has visible damage to bore, crowning etc. that would warn you to pass it up.

Hope you get one that you are happy with!
Scott

·
Banned
24 Posts
I have a 77/22, the stainless with the laminated stock, with a Leupold 3-9X Compact AO, a 39A with a Leupold 4X rimfire, and one of the newest 10/22's stainless with the synthetic stock and a Weaver 2-7X rimfire scope.

They all shoot well, with the 77/22 as a definate accuracy winner. But for fun, fun, fun, the 10/22 is by far the overall winner. You load up 5 clips with whatever you get on sale, and bang away. Speed loader belt holders hold the Ruger 10 shot clips perfectly. The huge advantage to the 10/22 is the optional after market accessories that can easily be installed or swapped.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
I look for the nicest-looking wood! If they're all new then, yes, something of a crap shoot as far as accuracy goes. Obviously you would reject any that had mechanical defects.

Nice trigger is a bonus also if they will let you check them.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts