Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, the best flashlight I have is a Mini-Mag. I am looking to upgrade to something with LED light, either two AA, or two 123 batteries. I am hoping for 400 to 600 lumens. I want both toggle on and momentary on capability.

After reading reviews, I get the impression that it is a good idea to avoid anything "made in China".

OK. What brands? What should I look for? About how much am I going to spend?

·
The Shadow
7,987 Posts
Assuming this is for tracking game as the sun falls, to stay relevant.;):)

Personally the whole "China" thing is over-blown. As with anything, there are shysters in the world.

Lumens get more credit than they deserve, and really is the wrong measuring stick for a few reasons. The biggest one, is most companies will use theoretical or calculated output, NOT a continuous duty. So what an LED may technically be capable of, isn't what the controller runs it at continually. They will power-down and save the chip from burning out.
The other issue is that Lumens don't account for the area the light is being spread, Lux accounts for that.
Easy way to think of the difference is like this:
In either example, assume the light emits 1,000 Lumens, and you are looking at an animal 50 feet away.
A) This light has a beam pattern of 10 degrees.
B) This light has a beam pattern of 60 degrees.

Technically both have the same output, but the 10 degree light will be "brighter" at the distance you are trying to see.

Technicalities aside, Fenix flashlights are incredibly bright and reliable IME. Across the local extended family, we have something like 7 different models and a dozen flashlights. They have been very good performers, even when used in the fire dept's abuse.

Cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Technicalities aside, Fenix flashlights are incredibly bright and reliable IME. Across the local extended family, we have something like 7 different models and a dozen flashlights. They have been very good performers, even when used in the fire dept's abuse.

Cheers
Thanx. Fenix is a Chinese product, but, as you say, quality can come from anywhere. Fenix is reasonably priced, too.

I notice the "US" made products are a C-note, and then some. But, are they worth that?

The flashlight will give multiple uses, from attic searches, to shining into a home invader's eyes.

The curse of old school flashlights is you have to have young eyes to use them.

If I should not use lumens, which statistic should I use? I don't need to burn holes in titanium foil, but seeing something clearly in a woodline, 50 feet away would be nice.

·
The Shadow
7,987 Posts
I notice the "US" made products are a C-note, and then some. But, are they worth that?

If I should not use lumens, which statistic should I use? I don't need to burn holes in titanium foil, but seeing something clearly in a woodline, 50 feet away would be nice.
"Worth it" is an individual thing, but to me; yes they are. I personally use a little one with a single 123 battery, and have a large rechargeable one I stuck in my firetruck a few years ago. Don't recall any specific "ratings" but has gone swimming on a few water rescues, and naturally, all wildland firefighters provide only the most tender loving care to their equipment:D

Lux is the measurement that is most meaningful, but rarely does anyone give you those numbers. So, it falls back to the old "do business with reputable companies" deal...

We've also used Streamlights in the trucks, and they have been fine for output and light quality. Personally in the rechargeable realm, the streamlights don't care for our usage. They typically give up the ghost after a couple years.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,141 Posts
I'm having a hard time equating this with firearms, shooting, reloading or hunting.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Flashlight

I'm having a hard time equating this with firearms, shooting, reloading or hunting.
I am surprised it has not come up before. Every hunter needs a good flashlight. When I was a kid hunting deer we got the plastic Wal-Mart type box lights with the large square battery. They were cheap and some would last for a couple of months and some for a couple of weeks. I literally hunted before daylight until too dark to see. I cannot count the number of times I have struggled through the woods with an inadequate light looking for a ladder stand. Have been in the same situation attempting to get back to the main trail in the dark after a hunt. Perfectly valid subject per my mind.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought a surefire years ago, took 2--123 batteries, had a high low switch on the end of it. Carried it in a pocket all day every day. The switch finally wore out so called surefire. Had a new switch 5 days later free. No shipping no nothing except an apology it wore out and a thank-you for being a customer. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
O lights are the go IMO I have one I use for a spotlight and I think it is incredible.
For something smaller and good enough to spot light with a 22 or shotgun the nightcore HC3O is incredible as well.
Miles in front of everything else I have used or seen used.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Of course flash lights are used for shooting & hunting purposes. Travelling to/from hunting locations, tracking game after dark, etc.

-You can get LED conversions for older Mag-lites, and they make some in LED also.

-I was given a Sure-fire mini type as a gift about ten years ago. The lamp/bulb connection failed after a few years. When I called about replacing the part the guy I talked with got a bit "prickly" but did finally send the replacement part. Those light do get hot if you leave them on long, but are very bright.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just grabbed my pocket light and, as has been my experience for the last 20 years or so, it was dead. Changed batteries...no go. In the trash. I've never gone for the high end lights (other than Mag-Lites, which I thought were high end 20 years ago, but died just like everything else), but am ready to spend the coin on an American-made, high-end, pocket light. I'm tagging along to see what recommendations pop up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm stuck in the Mini-Mag phase. Have several of them spread all over. Use them for hunting and wrap some electrical tape around the handle to keep them securely in the holster and to grip between my teeth when gutting. Adjustable lux is nice. I have found it essential to keep an extra bulb and batteries in my pack

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I"ve got to have twenty flashlights around here, stashed away for various uses. I've got Streamlights (over rated in my opinion) and many other brands. I've had several Maglights over the years and all in all they've been pretty good. One I had finally failed after around twenty years and Mag Corp sent me a new one. That's pretty good service. Anyway, last year the search was on again for a newer and better model. After a lot of research, I ended up with another Maglight. This one is the Mag-Lite model 300LX. It's got a variety of modes and light levels and is as bright as you need or can be turned down with a toggle and it will last for hours. Take a look at that one, it's probably one of my better ones. My one-hundred thirty dollar Stremlight rechargable failed within a year. Called them and was told "sorry".
https://www.amazon.com/MagLite-ML30...ocphy=9005498&hvtargid=pla-308882215083&psc=1

·
Registered
132 Posts
A good rule of thumb is the old proverb that you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use a Streamlight Stylus Pro USB as a mechanic. It's been dropped in hot oil and on the concrete floor repeatedly. Lifetime warranty,rechargeable and Made in China. New parts are available so it should last quite some time. Had it for a couple years. I've taken to carrying it all the time. Doesn't meet the 400-600 lumens but is bright enough to light up the dog when he bolts at 100 yards or so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Several years ago (15, I think), I was looking for a high quality LED headlamp for night fishing. High power LED's were in their infancy and relatively expensive. I ended up getting the top of the line Princeton Tec lamp. It has a very bright center beam that is focused, and 4 outer LED's for more disbursed light. The bright beam is good enough to drive a boat or light up the shoreline. I had a switch fail and P-T stood behind their lifetime warranty and sent a brand new light. I still have the lamp and it still works.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My go-to lights now are the Nebo from Batteries Plus. Heavy duty well made lights with magnetic bases. They come in several sizes. I have had two for several years now. I will purchase another before hunting season. Only time will tell, but so far they have done well. They are not cheap.

I was given a light a Christmas that I really like, an Iprotec. I just looked it up. The Iprotec turned out to be a Nebo product also.

I am turned off with rechargeable batteries for outdoor use. I have found that they give very little warning when they are going out. Using conventional batteries the light they power will grow increasingly dim as the batteries are drained of power. Rechargeable batteries that I have been exposed to simply go out with little warning.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts