Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a new, reasonably priced flinchlock and would like some input from those who know as to what I should be looking for. I need something that I can take white tails with and it can be round ball, conical bullet or sabot bullet. I would prefer the conical or sabots.
Thanks,

Kudu40

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Reasonably priced mean a production rifle. A good quality one that will not break the bank is a Lyman Trade Rifle. They have a good fast lock, good sparker, well made, and mine will shoot roundball or conical bullets well. It even does Powerbelts real well. Mine is a .54 caliber. A .54 caliber roundball for whitetail is all you need if you place it right. Plus they are easy to find and cheap to shoot. So you can practice more.

Another good one is the Lyman Deerstalker I heard, but I do not own one. I also have a Traditons Woodsman in .50 caliber that shoots real well with roundball and 240 grain XTP's.

Personally I would get a Lyman Trade Rifle, in .54 caliber, shoot roundball, and forget all that other stuff. They even hunt elk with roundball. They are a good projectile and bring down game as good as anything else. My Trade Rifle out to 100 yards is all I need to hunt with. I shot a roundball length way, front to back, through a deer with 100 grains of Goex 2f and a patched ball. It broke the neck, through the brisket, and on the way out broke a back leg before it disappeared into the woods. I was 52 yards away at the time. Plenty of power, plenty of knock down, and they are a great looking rifle.

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
Another vote for Lyman

I have the Trade Rifle, Deerstalker and Great Plains Rifle all in .54 flintlock. They came off the used gun rack at a fraction of the cost of a new rifle. I gave them a careful inspection and they came home with me. It depends what you prefer, is available and can afford. All the best...
Gil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts