Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that is having a terrible time finding an accurate good grouping Bullet/Powder combo for his 30-378. The only thing so far that shoots good groups is factory and the cost is about to kill him. Any good pet loads will be greatly appreciated.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
try 110 grains of h50bmg with a 180 nosler accubond, or my favorite load is 104grains of retumbo with a 200 grain nosler accubond. col for both loads was 3.735.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Sometimes handloader it just takes some research. As expensive as trying out several different bullets and powder is it's not near as bad as buying factory ammo. I really lucked out when I started loading for my 8mm Rem mag in that it seemed to like every bullet I tried in it with a healthy dose of 4831. Some of the folks on a long range shooting forum seem to really like Retumbo and I'm going to try some of that next It might work well in your 30-378 too.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,966 Posts
I have a hard time getting groups from a 30-378, too.

About the 2nd round and my eyeballs are hanging out of the sockets!

Think that's a common problem with all big boomers - too much flinching to get really good groups.

OK - now all you affectionidos of the sooperloudenboomers pile on and tell of the wondrous groups you can attain with the T-Rex slayers! :p

·
Registered
437 Posts
I agree. I went from Magnum .30's to the .257 Weatherby. My .300 loved the Barnes TSX 168 grain. The 30-378 will need a fairly stout bullet. The Barnes bullets are very accurate. No seames or anything, just turned copper. I think that adds to the consistency, thus, the good groups.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Retumbo 110 gr with 180 Grain TTSX Barnes. COL 2.817. Bullets stabilizes well and getting SD 7 fps on a Chrony. Ave 3450 fps. Grouping about a 1/4 MOA at 300 YDS ( less than 1 inch groups at 300YDS). Do recommend that you neck peel and use bushing dies to get accurate neck tension. Also set up ypur FL die to only set your neck back .003 max. This helps brass last. Good luck

·
Banned
22 Posts
I have never found a bad load for my 30/378 however I have been really impressed with the 200 grain accubond with 110 grains of retumbo or the same forumla with H50bmg. I believe the retumbo is alot cleaner burning. In my acumark at least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son and went through the same challanges - but with the cost of a new ammo it didnt take long to buy the dyes and start some R & D. After a lot of trail / error and some looking on the web (another forum) H1000 98gr with berger 210 VDL gave us excellent reslults. We are hunters so we were happy with a .650 group at 100 yards. I know a lot of people have used the Retumbo power but we had some rapid pressure spikes as we worked up the loads. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
retumbo powder

I am trying to work a load fo my 8mm Remingting magnum using Retumbo powder
I have use the sierra book and filled the case with the load just below the max load and the powder is above the shoulder. I tryed tapping the case on the bench to see if it would go down it did not.( verry scary with a magnum load) None of my other powders fill the case so high, so i loaded it with the lowest charge.
Does anyone have this problem and is this normal for this powder to take up so much room in the case. Sierra book does not say if this is a compressed load. I am afraid of Pressure
Any info PLEASE.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I am trying to work a load fo my 8mm Remingting magnum using Retumbo powder
I have use the sierra book and filled the case with the load just below the max load and the powder is above the shoulder. I tryed tapping the case on the bench to see if it would go down it did not.( verry scary with a magnum load) None of my other powders fill the case so high, so i loaded it with the lowest charge.
Does anyone have this problem and is this normal for this powder to take up so much room in the case. Sierra book does not say if this is a compressed load. I am afraid of Pressure
Any info PLEASE.
If you are sure the powder is right and the weight is good don't worry about a compressed charge.

It's probably not a bad idea to start at the lower end of the chart and work your way up anyway.

I have loaded 93gr of H870 (slow ball powder, now discontinued) with the Hornady 220 grain bullets in my 8mm mag without issue.

My go to powder in my 8mm mag is IMR 7828.

EDIT to add: One thing you can try is using a powder funnel with a long drop tube, like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=293879

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you, I herd of using a long drop tube, I will try it I thought tapping the case would do the same I guise not, I am a pistol reloader new to rifle reloading.
This powder fills the case like no other, it looked like there was hardley any room to seat bullet
And buy the way IMR 7828 is very accurate

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a buddy that is having a terrible time finding an accurate good grouping Bullet/Powder combo for his 30-378. The only thing so far that shoots good groups is factory and the cost is about to kill him. Any good pet loads will be greatly appreciated.:D
Nosler most accurate loads 30-378 are
125 gr h4831 105.0 gr 3642 fps
150/155 gr h50bmg 116.0 gr 3345 fps
165/168 gr h50bmg 112.0 gr 3242 fps
180 gr h50bmg 110.0 gr 3158 fps
200 gr h50bmg 108.0 gr 2965 fps
220 gr imr782891.0 gr 2879 fps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts