Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is thinking about purchasing a .264 Win. Mag. in model 70 XTR with a 24 inch barrel. The wood is about 70 per cent and the bore is bright and the rifling seems to be well defined. The guy wants to sell the rifle for &#36395. Is the .264 a good load...bad load? What about recoil? Does the 24 inch barrel take anything away from ballistics? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
19 Posts
HAVE OWNED TWO 264WINMAGS. BOTH HAVE BEEN SUPERBLY ACCURATE. THE LAST WILL PUSH 120GR BULLETS AT 3400FPS AND SHOOT FLATTER THAN A MOONBEAM.
WITH THE CORRECT HANDLOADS THEY'RE AIN'T NO FLIES IN THE 264'S OINTMENT. IT IS A SPERB LONG RANGE RIFLE.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, Terry. In your judgment, is the 26 inch barrel essential for the very best accuracy and velocity? I've heard both sides of the debate.

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooops, I meant to ask, have you noticed any problems with the throats of either rifle? Approximately how many rounds have you put thru the tube before any appreciable wear began?

Timberwolf

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Timberwolf,
      Here is some data from the Hornady handbook about throat erosion. The cartridge they tested is the 7mm Magnum. Velocity of the new barrel was 3044. Velocity from the eroded barrel after 2000 rounds was 2758, using the same components. In the data for the .264 they state "One of the reasons the 7mm Mag has so thoroughly eclipsed the popularity of the .264 may well be that the 7mm is somewhat easier on barrels." Apparently then, if the .264 is harder on barrels than the 7mm erosion would occur even faster.
        Does this mean your friend shouldn't buy this rifle? Not really. He should just be aware of the possibility that if the rifle has been shot a lot it could be an issue. Truthfully, most hunters carry their rifles a lot and shoot them a little. If that rifle had been mine though, you can bet it would be shot out because I often shoot several thousand rounds a year from a rifle. That's why I like rounds like .308 and .223 that don't erode barrels so quickly. But the fast cartridges do certainly have their place.
        Sorry to be so long-winded and harp on this issue. It's just better to be aware than to be burned!     ID

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, IDshooter,
  Your information is invaluable. I do believe that perhaps he needs to pass on the .264 since he doesn't have any real history on the rifle. "Don't buy a pig in the poke!" I will suggest to him, that IF he's looking for speed and potential accuracy, he needs to perhaps look at one of the 7mm rounds; Rem. mag, Rem Ultra, or STW. They are probably all serviceable rounds. At least the 7mm Mag. is time tested, and is responsible for a large number of North American game animals. The recoil is also very manageable! Right?

Much Appreciation,
Timberwolf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts