Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for experience and knowledge on 300AAC Blackout rifles. I just purchased a Suppressor to help rid my deer feeders of a hog problems in a rural area with houses not far. Want to kill the hogs with low noise therefore am looking to go subsonic with the 300AAC/300 Whisper. Anyway I have a bit of time to wait for the suppressor and am trying to decide on a choice of rifles that will need to be threaded for 5/8-24. My gun smith will thread my rifles for about $100 if needed. All I am really seeing is a 300AAC Handi Rifle and several AR types and uppers that I can purchase. Although I own 2 AR15s a Smith and Wesson M&P15and COLT LE I really have very limited knowledge with them. I also have a remingotn R-25 in 308 I plan to get threaded for 5/8-24 (I realize this will not be a quiet subsonic round). I see S&W has a AR15-300 that is a 300Whisper that I can run the AAC BO through and they also sell the uppers that I could put on my M&P15 lower. I was told remington had a rem 700SPS AAC but, when I looked it up it only shows it to come in 308? Can you all share your thoughts and experience on the best and or best value for rifles chambered in 300AAC Blackout? FYI - I also will probably want to mount a flashlight on this thing! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
The Remington appears to be a new model for them and it looks like it will be in a 700 SPS with a 16.5" barrel that's threaded 5/8x24, Hogue stock. Mossberg also has a bolt action chambered in the 300 AAC Blackout, the Mossberg MVP. It has a 16.25" fluted threaded barrel with an A2 flash suppressor on it, has a 10 round magazine and accepts AR style mags. Buds Gun Shop has the Remington in stock it looks like, the page looks kinda funny on Buds, but just scroll down and they have a good picture of the rifle with a good description below the pic. There's a Advanced Armament Remington Model 7 in stock as well.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/678/products_id/80179

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/77820

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=MB27718

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I would stick with a semi auto for hog control at feeders. I have one of the S&W M&P's in 300BO/Whisper accurate (sub MOA with hand loads) and dead on reliable-it is already 5/8-24 threaded. You could just buy the Upper since you have an AR. To be honest just about any upper from any manufacturer should have the 5/8 threads and work fine for your needs. You can buy a rail that will mount to a factory hand guard or get a railed hand guard for accessories.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would stick with a semi auto for hog control at feeders. I have one of the S&W M&P's in 300BO/Whisper accurate (sub MOA with hand loads) and dead on reliable-it is already 5/8-24 threaded. You could just buy the Upper since you have an AR. To be honest just about any upper from any manufacturer should have the 5/8 threads and work fine for your needs. You can buy a rail that will mount to a factory hand guard or get a railed hand guard for accessories.
Thanks Guys! that Remmy 700 is pretty sexy and I am sure very accurate and I like that Hougue stock! That Mossberg has some pretty nice features any idea of accuracy and strength? Trigger? I've never even touched one before?

bsn: This upper sounds good though. This hand guard rail just attaches to the factory rail without replacing anything I like that idea too! What would you recommend for a scope on this thing? I am thinking illuminated red or red dot in conjunction with a green LED flashlight. Also can you share your subsonic load recipe? Last but, not least I am curious I understand the 300AACBO uses the same std 5.56 mags as the case is the same. Have you had any issues with the mags? Using 5.56 mags for 300AAC? is one mag better than the other? Got a bunch of steel mags and some pmags let me know your thoughts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts