Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm new here.
I'm looking for my first bigger gun and would really like it to be a 6.5x55, mostly since I'm a wuss and don't like recoil and it's the most popular round where I live.

I would also like it to be cheap, because I don't really have much to spend right now and like the idea of having a solid "worker" that might not have all the latest bells since I don't plan on shooting paper much.

I've been offered this beat up old Parker Hale and would like to know if it's one of the early ones with the reworked military lock (and if that's better or worse). Also, is that a diopter base hanging of it's side?
They tell me the barrel has been shot a bunch but should have plenty shots left.

Could I make this work as a good hunting rifle with a better scope?
How are the triggers on these things?

Bigger pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/JyL1X5Z

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,829 Posts
To answer your question--- THAT is one of the better Parker Hale rifles made from (Probably) a military VZ-24 made in what is now CZ in Chezch ul ssomething.

The value of that rifle is in the condition of the bore because the rest is just ragged and not 'hurt'. ANYTHING on that rifle can be replaced by a generic 'model 98' part.....or made as fancy as any rifle has ever been made.

My suggestion is to grab it just for the foundation but don't pay over 'foundation' price for it in case the barrel is bad.

I get the sense you're not in the USA, but if you were and that rifle were sitting on a pawn shop rack this time of year, I'd offer $200 and walk away if he didn't take it. IF it shoots well, it's worth double that, but if it doesn't shoot well, you'll pay $200 more at least to have a useable rifle.

Welcome aboard. I hope you can get those pictures down before they wear my monitor out! ;)

·
Premium Member
14,829 Posts
Yes it is!! That has the original M-98 military trigger in it and you'll hate it. EVERYBODY makes a drop-in over-ride trigger for that rifle.
Also, the rear ring was ground to "FN" contour so any scope mount for an FN will fit that rifle.

That old receiver sight mounted on the right side could pay for a new Leupold if its the right one.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,026 Posts
Welcome to the board.

What sort of game do you have to hunt in Iceland?

A P-H in 6.5 Swede chambering would be a nice combination.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's offered for the equivalent of 290 USD, I just might try making an offer of 200.

if it doesn't shoot well, you'll pay $200 more at least to have a useable rifle
Is that how much rebarreling costs in the US?
How much would a fancier trigger set me back?

What sort of game do you have to hunt in Iceland?
Ptarmigan, ducks, geese, mink, fox and reindeer are the most common. Reindeer is the only "big" game really apart from the occasional polar bear swimming over from Greenland. How did you figure out I'm in Iceland btw?

I must admit I'm not really a fan of the PH stock, I'd like something a bit more slender. It looks pretty blocky.
Is the safety not going to give me trouble with a different scope?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I forgot the sea-fowl, what we collectively call "blackbirds", their a popular hunt done from boats. And seals as well.
I don't really care for the taste of neither. Think fish oil.

·
Premium Member
14,829 Posts
The stock is typical 'MarkX' made by Sile and several others. As I say. ANY M-98 stock will fit and some are VERY slim and trim (and I agree).

New barrels are available from numerous outletts at a wide variety of cost. If there's someone there with the proper barrel vise and action wrench necessary to take it apart and re-assemble and has a headspace gauge and lathe, a new barrel can be as cheap as a couple hundred bucks.

Triggers are typically about $100. If you wanted to switch safeties, just buy a trigger with a side safety and ignore the shroud safety....or you could go as fancy as a M-70 type. The sky (and budget) are the only limits with that action.

Here are a couple rifle I know were built on VZ-24s.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It is a good rifle. Any many people would use it right like it sits and be very satisfied.

A hunting rifle need only be as accurate as the shooters 'needs'. A rifle that shoots 2-3" is fine with most hunters shooting game at 100 yards.

Your choice of cartridge is excellent. the 6.5 Swed will do it all....and as you note not destroy your shoulder.

And welcome to the sight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is!! That has the original M-98 military trigger in it and you'll hate it. EVERYBODY makes a drop-in over-ride trigger for that rifle.
Also, the rear ring was ground to "FN" contour so any scope mount for an FN will fit that rifle.

That old receiver sight mounted on the right side could pay for a new Leupold if its the right one.
Great to get info from someone who knows about these rifles, thank you!

It looks like the receiver sight is missing some parts right? What particular type would be worth something, just in case :D?

·
The Shadow
7,694 Posts
1) Is that how much rebarreling costs in the US?
2) How much would a fancier trigger set me back?
3) How did you figure out I'm in Iceland btw?
4) Is the safety not going to give me trouble with a different scope?
1) That is a lower-end cost of the barrel alone(E.R. Shaw as an example). But does not include the cost of the smith and mating to the receiver. MOST barrels here, if you want a "big" name, like Pacnor, will cost $400+ for the barrel alone.

2) Here, a Timney will be $60-115. Not sure about locally for you.
3) As moderators of the board, we are allowed to see a lot about our members; helps us cut down on spammers. You asked about hunting, but didn't say where you are or what you are hunting; not exactly helpful for the random fellow to be helpful. ;)
4) Depends upon the scope and rings, but wouldn't expect it to.

Welcome to the board.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a good rifle. Any many people would use it right like it sits and be very satisfied.
Yes, I'm thinking that's what I'll do to begin with, although the scope is a pretty useless 2,5x. For reindeer here we need a scope capable of 12x or a least 8x since it's all open tundra. I just might put a really cheap Tasco I have on it until funds (and swmbo) allow for a proper one. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ANY M-98 stock will fit and some are VERY slim and trim (and I agree).

New barrels are available from numerous outletts at a wide variety of cost. If there's someone there with the proper barrel vise and action wrench necessary to take it apart and re-assemble and has a headspace gauge and lathe, a new barrel can be as cheap as a couple hundred bucks.

Triggers are typically about $100. If you wanted to switch safeties, just buy a trigger with a side safety and ignore the shroud safety....or you could go as fancy as a M-70 type. The sky (and budget) are the only limits with that action.

Here are a couple rifle I know were built on VZ-24s.
Now those are some attractive rifles. Got any links to attractive stocks like this, or is this a custom job?

It sounds a bit like changing the barrel would always bring the cost of the gun up to unreasonable amounts, compared to finding a used gun in better condition.

My dream gun right now would be a husqvarna 1900/1940, there are a few on offer for little money, but they're all caliber 30-06. They look sexy right out of the box and have a great lock and, I've read, a good trigger.
I'm kinda thinking my options are to buy one of those and re-barrel it - a perfectly usable gun for no other reason than not being in my preferred caliber, or get the Parker Hale which is kinda a cheap version of what I want out of the box and upgrade it as I go along.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hurru, you have a very serviceable rifle there. First thing I would do is buy a set of low rings and throw those high ones in the trash. You'll find the old gun to be very comfortable to shoot. I doubt the barrel has been shot out but as J said you might look for things like rust, corrosion or maybe a ring in the barrel where some spider made it's nest. The safety can be changed to the right side w/a Buehler or Winchester style two position. The scope looks like a Tasco and maybe alright but w/the new coatings available on scopes today just far surpass it. A VX1 is $150 and a no brainer. The caliber is gaining in popularity but has always been a sleeper. It looks as though someone has already tried to remove the receiver sight and failed. Taking it off would be my first priority but be careful or you'll end up drilling off the screw heads to get it off. A nice rifle w/a few changes that would be ready to hunt. powdr

·
Premium Member
14,829 Posts
Those above are custom stocks of really good wood. Below is a pre-1914 Sauer and Sons Sporter in ".30 Gov. 1906" with a very trim stock.

What is a Husquvarna 1900/1940? Husqvarna used a LOT of VZ-24 actions just after the War and it could be you could buy both and just swap stocks. Husky also used 94 and 96 Swede actions and later their own small ring M-98 variation.

I FULLY agree with new scope rings. The bolt handle is already altered for a low scope so you have no interference there.

Look at the crown really well. Those scars on the left side of the grip section means its been leaning against something like a boat seat during rough weather. The muzzle crown will be scarred up, too.

That rear sight is just the base of a receiver sight. It looks to be a Lyman #57 but could be a long-slide (missing) #48 which are collectable. I might even have a slide to fit it and make it complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
To answer your question--- THAT is one of the better Parker Hale rifles made from (Probably) a military VZ-24 made in what is now CZ in Chezch ul ssomething.

+1

My .30-06 P-H Safari is exactly like that - Mine was made in the late 1950's & brought the the US in the early 60's in a G.I. duffle bag.

It came with scope bases integral to the receiver (probably silver-soldered on) that has ring-locating holes in the center that accept the set of P-H Roll-off scope rings that were also with the rifle.

The G.I gave it to his younger brother (my now late best friend) when he brought it home.

My friend hunted with it for a few years before he gifted it to me, so I could stop drooling over it.

That was over 45 years ago - the P-H has remained accurate, and it's still in use to this very day.

The later P-H's became ordinary sporting rifles, as P-H had changed to the BSA action & California-style stock designs (not my cup of tea).

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
As you have perhaps already noted, lots of good useful info on here. Just for the record back in the dark ages that model rifle(308Win) was the first real deer rifle I purchased ..directly from the factory I might add...
That rifle shot hundreds of deer, mainly fallow over the next eight or nine years until it was rebarreld to 257 Roberts for me by Cliyde Moore in Michigan and it continued to do the job for many more years.
Parker Hale made some excellent barrels and my official sniper rifle was a Parker Hale. Nothing wrong with the rifle if it has been looked after and the 6.5 x 55 is a good choice.

On edit...nothing wrong with the original Tasco scopes either. I have shot hundreds of various animals from tahr in New Zealand to wild boar in Poland and red deer here in the UK with them. If you want a quality scope at a reasonable price, have a look at the Hawke range. I have five of them and animals seem to fall over just the same as my friends expensive S & B.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Not to chase you from the Parker Hale; but the Husquvarna 1900/1940 is a great rifle. A. Zoli made some and then copied them. I'd not shy away for an '06. light loads are availabel even if you don't reload.

My choice would be the Husquvarna 1900/1940 in 6.5x55 Swed; and it sounds like that would be yours also.

Check out Hornady Custom Lite Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 125 Grain SST. low recoil and very effective on caribou and raindeer.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Yep...choices choices. Having used both the 30-06 (130hr loads) and a 6.5 x55 (140gr loads) I have to say I like the Swede better .....but as said ...CHOICES! CHOICES! They will both do their job if you do.
Finally the decision has to be yours. BUT with purchasing any second hand/used rifle it needs to shoot good groups consistently.

Keep us informed which way you decide to go and a few photos of your succesful hunts. We do not see much from Iceland.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts