Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I decided to get rid of my win trapper in 45 colt. Well I found a marlin 44 mag. Any thoughts before I dump the win. The reason for dumping the win: I hate the action It reminds me of a 1970's bumperjack. And after working the marlin - so smooth. Cons: need new dies and bullets. Work up a new loads. Lots of stuff left over for 45 colt. The win is a great shooter. 16in barrel is very handy. Pros: Love the marlins. 20in is still handy. Factory loads a pleanty. Any others? I bought the win for PA black bear. I wanted a powerful handy carbine for thick woods huntin and quick follow ups. I knew the win was a little clunky and hated that crater in the side of it, but I thought the action would smooth out in time. After may cowboy loads and lots of 335gr hard cast loads still herky-jerky to me. I don't really think it's the gun as much as it's me.

Anyone want to sway me either way. Right now it looks like trade time. Win for sale.

norville

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a 16" Marlin in .44 rem mag w/ AO ghost ring sights and have been very happy with it. Reasons...

* Smooooooooooth action
* Very, very, very fast cycling (as in rapid fire)
* Ease of disassembly for breech-end cleaning
* Fit and finish is pretty good
* Light weight and compact dimensions
* Square bolt and solid top receiver
* Rapid interchangability of light .44 Specials for plinking to heavy 300g hard cast loads at 1700fps for hunting and Starfires for "bedside" applications

But the Winchester appeals to me because...

* It is one of the most beautiful gun designs ever conceived and executed by the hand of man.
* Slim forearm, trim action
* Its history (better marketing than Marlin in the early years)
* The .45 LC can be developed to be just as potent as the .44 mag at lower pressures

I'm guessing accuracy, reliability and durability between the two are approximately the same.

As far as having to develop all new loads for the .44 mag, c'mon that's half the fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went thru the 45colt/44mag decision last fall.  Really wanted to talk myself into the 45 as a i have a blackhawk in 45 that is my packin' sidearm but settled on the the marlin 44.  Mainly because i heard the chambers on the 45's tend to be quite oversize- some to the point that they can split the case of factory 45 ammo [the blackhawks tend towards oversize as well but at least mine has  never split a case even with over 20gr of 2400 under a 255gr lead bullet]. Has anybody else heard anything about this 'rumor'?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Winchester Trapper in .45 Colt and yes, it is not as smooth as a Marlin.  But it is accurate and I prefer it's slim proportions to the Marlin.  Is there any way you can keep the Winchester and buy the Marlin?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I now own both a Marlin 44 Mag and a Win 45 Colt. little doubt the Marlin is smoother ,but as stated the bore is oversized but not a problem with accuracy. many guns with the same caliber have different bore sizes within the brand and others.
Where some of you get the idea that the 45 Colt isn't up 44 mag power wise  is beyond me. not only up to but beyond ...and does it safely.
My personal opinion is too many people read too much and have little practicle sense. Good ole Elmer Keith went on record saying the 45 just doesn't measure up to it's new cousin the 44 mag. This was because back in Elmer's time brass for the 45 was thin..but then again every caliber's brass was thin and stretched. with todays quality brass, primers, reloading dies etc. that statement about can't handle the pressures  in a 45 is about as up to date as saying a engine on a new car should last 50,000 miles.
Buy a quality Win,Marlin,Rossi, Ruger in 45 colt and  load it up! what you'll have is a 300 gr FN 45 caliber bullet pushed at more pressure with less problems then a 44 mag. Last time I looked that meant bigger punch.
44 mag vs. 45 colt is equivalent to ford vs. chevy. Little difference if one runs you over!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Jack,

Looking at what the Win 94 has been chambered for, vs. what the Marlin 94 had been chambered for, yeah probably the Win is a little stronger.  Still both should be fine for 44 Mag or .45 Colt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I agree that the 45colt is a great round. I was throwing 335gr slugs under 22grs of H110 and following them up with some cowboy loads. It ate everything without a hitch. Yah the chamber was huge I'd only get about three loadings out of the hot stuff. Man just point and shoot = hole.
  The main reason I like levers is the quick follow up shots. I was unable to keep the win on my shoulder to do this. I'd practice for a couple hundred throws no problems. I come back a couple days later and rip it right off my shoulder. I never had a prob with the marlins. Like I said prolly me(I have 4). Twice I picked up the marlin 1894, it levered like a dream never had to think about it. The second time for $0.90 and my win I walked out the door with the marlin. It's only slightly longer and about the same weight, but feels much more stout. I admit If I ever come across the "hens tooth" of a marlin 45 colt I'm all over it. I know I still lost out on the deal I've got lots of 45 stuff now. I do feel more confident in the gun lets just see how it shoots.

thanks agian

norville

PS. How do you dissasemble marlin for cleaning?
Also very soon I'll be getting BTB 45 cal 300gc in the mail anyone want to trade for some 44stuff? I forgot I ordered them and got an email notice the other day.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Norville:

Disassembling the Marlin is EASY. First, make sure the rifle is unloaded in chamber and magazine, then check again. Second, remove the screw that the lever pivots on and remove the lever. Third, pull out the bolt and the ejector. Voila! It's done. Reassemble in the same order.

I have a full box of BTB 300g WFNGC that I "MIGHT" be willing to trade for the same in .45LC. It depends on if I order that Bird's Head Ruger Vaquero that I've been eyeing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There was a thread going about weak 45 brass. It was pointed out that the custom 5 shot revolvers were getting multiple reloads from 45 brass, using 50,000 psi loads! But these guns have custom, tight chambers. Factory chambers are greatly oversized, and cause case expansion. Resizing it to factory specs works the brass just as hard the other way. A few firing and reload cycles, and that brass is just worked to death.

Darrel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts