Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a Winchester 270 model 70 and when I was cleaning it my friend was fiddling with the bolt. Somehow he managed to twist the shroud into the position it would be in when the bolt is completely in the gun and twisted down except the bolt is out of the gun. No matter what I try I can't get the shroud to twist back. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Sounds like you friend uncocked your bolt. You'll have to recock it inorder to place it in the action. Grip real tight, the bolt with your left hand, and the bolt handle with your right hand and pull up on the bolt handle. This should recock your bolt.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
It's easier to pull the bolt away from a held cocking piece than it is to pull a small cocking piece from within the bolt shroud.

Find a hard/square edge, like the side/edge of a workbench.

Place the bolt against that edge, rightside up, with the front of the bolt facing towards you, across/down the face of the benchtop.

Hook the sear on the square edge while you pull the bolt body towards you, against the mainspring pressure, enough so that the bolt handle can be rotated up & the pull gradually eased off, seating the cocking piece's nose in the shallow notch cut into the rear end of the bolt body for it.

You may need assistance, holding the cocking piece in place while the bolt handle's being raised, but that's generally the best way to recock a bolt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts