Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 41 mag. Bisley with a 5 1/2 in. tube. The 250 gr. Beartooth seems a bit much for general practice. Is the Oregon Trail 215 gr. sized at .412 good in these guns? I reload for rifles but this is my first revolver?

Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
While I have not tried the Oregon Train bullets, I do load the 215gr. cast in my 41 Magnum. I use 9gr. Unique and obtain fine accuracy. This load has also taken javelina and many rabbits.

·
Registered
676 Posts
215 is good and is mostly what I shoot but for a nice easy shooting load I like 200 Gr HP in front of 8 grains of Bullseye. Some think its a dirty powder but it's accurate for me, good for just about anything from rabbit to close up deer, (within 50 yards).

Your 215 gr bullet and Hodgdon Universal still using 8 grains is even milder and for paper punching it's more accurate. Nice SD/HD load without having all that excess bark.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. Someone on the Ruger forum suggested Missouri bullet co. They have a 215 SWC .411 with a BHN of 18 and even more economical than the Oregon Trail. The Unique sounds good. I may start a little lower than 9 gr. though. Now i need to order dies and shell plates. I hope i can find powder and primers in Texarkana this weekend

·
Registered
94 Posts
For plinking/practice and for my wife to shoot, I load 7gr of Unique and a Lee 210 gr cast from wheelweights. Cheap, recoil is minimal, and accuracy is decent out of both my S&W Mod 57 and the Ruger Blackhawk. Gotta find some more weights 'cuz the wife, sons, and sons' girlfriends shoot 'em up faster than I can cast and load 'em. Good load to introduce someone to the magnum pistol without the magnum recoil.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I shoot cast 215-220gr SWC in my 4 5/8" 3 screw Blackhawk and 7.5" Redhawk. I use 2400powder for 90% of my 41 loads. I load it as light as 10grs for plinking and over 20grs [in the Redhawk] for serious work.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I use Oregon Trail bullets in several calibers includung the .41 mag.They are quality bullets.I also use Beartooth Bullets and like them alot too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For hunting I would use the Beartooth 265 gr LWN bullet with its 0.32 inch meplat. This is where the gas check and BHN of 21 will earn the premium price of these premium bullets. I have been chided on other topics for recommending bullets of other makers for plinking and practicing. Beartooth bullets are premium quality and expensive for plinking or informal range practice. So buy accordingly. If you are going to hunt use enough Beartooth 265 gr LWN bullets at the range to get "dialed in" for the game you are going to hunt.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input Guys. I was able to pick up some unique and large pistol primers this weekend. My dies have not arrived yet and i am sitting home with 8in. of snow on the ground. I will hunt some with this gun but do not know if it will become a serious thing. I do love my lever guns for hunting. I will probably shoot a few hundred rounds of the 215's at 1000 to 1100 fps then move on so heavier slugs and loads. I have never shot pistols that much and have never been that good. The first 50 rounds through this revolver have made me feel like i can become proficient with it.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I load 8 grs of Unique behind a cast 215 LSWC for about 1000 fps out of my 4" Smith 58. This duplicates the old .41 210 LSWC Police load and is dead on for my fixed sights. I'm looking forward to casting some 195 and 265s for it also when I get home.

CD

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CD,
Thanks for the input. I ended up buying the Missouri Bullet Co. 215 SWC (brinell 18) based on a recommendation and price. This is a .411 bullet compared to the .412 Laser Cast. I saw a post about leading from the Missouri bullet last night. He used 7.6 gr. Unique.I hope i did not mess up but we will see. My dies and brass came in yesterday. I think i will try your 8 gr. load after an initial two or three at 7.8 just to work up from since this is my first pistol reload.
I am very impressed with your signature line and wish you a safe return home to try out the new loads.
Arky

·
Registered
7 Posts
The load I have used for years for my DW 741 is 6.0 grains of SR4756 with a 210 grain lead SWC (colorado cast bullet) Good luck I love the 41 Mag.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. I did reload 50 rounds of the 210gr swc .411 from Missouri Bullet. I used 8 gr of unique per Lymans trim to and OAL. I had previously tried 3 rounds using the crimp feature on my RCBS seating die. I got little curls of brass when i did it. I never use this as i use LFC dies on my rifles that need a crimp. The 50 rounds were loaded using a LFC for the 41. This die is different from the ones for rifles. It re-sizes the case after crimping. I wonder if this alters the .411 bullet. I am getting 1125 fps from this load. I am fairly new to pistols and a poor shot. I did get one 3 shot group from 25 yds. measuring 1/3/4 in. using a bag under the front part of the gun. I have consumed 36 rounds and no leading showing up yet. I have the rear sight adjusted as far as it will go and impact is 4 in. above point of aim. Amazingly it seems to be near the same at 75 yds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts