Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone with a bluebook of gun prices please
inform me of the current price for a Winchester model 94 Cheyenne Commemorative chambered for the .44-40 New in the Box, then give me the price of the same thing in 90 per cent condition without the box.

Thanks and gave a great week-end,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
107 Posts
Timberwolf, The Model 94 Cheyenne Commemorative was made for the Canadian market (non-domestic issue) in 1977.  There where 11,225 issued at $300.00 each.  The current value (22nd Blue Book) is listed at $795.00 in NIB condition (100% and must include box and all papers).  Interestingly, on commemoratives there is only one price listed and that is 100% (NIB).  If the gun is not 100%/NIB with box and all papers, then the price defaults to whatever the price would be for the standard model in the same condition (i.e., a regular Model 94 in that caliber and configuration).  Good Hunting, Odessa
Ps. For the Cheyenne there was also a .22LR companion rifle issued.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Odessa. Do you have any familiarity with the Cheyenne? Quality, etc. I want a model 94 .44-40 as a shooter, so if I ever get a Cheyenne I plan to use it. I am sure the price will drastically drop. Maybe it's worth holding out for a used one somewhere down the road. What do you think?

Regards, Timberwolf

·
Registered
107 Posts
Timberwolf, I do not collect the commemoratives myself - if I purchased one it would be one of the few made in 38/55 and I would want it for a shooter.  If it were me I would look for one of the limited run M92 Winchester's that was made in 44/40 or obtain one of the excellent Marlin M1894's that are available in 44/40.  Some Winchester M94's will shoot the short length cartridges just fine, some are balky - luck of the draw.  For the amount of money wanted for the Cheyenne commemorative you can purchase the M92 - which is really the best of the bunch.  That way you will not experience a drastic price drop when you start shooting it.  Davidsons is offering a limited run of M92's and is taking orders right now through their dealers (I recently ordered one in 38/40).  Good luck, Odessa

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Odessa. I will heed your advice!

Have a great week,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
716 Posts
Cheyenne 44-40 Shooter

TIMBERWOLF said:
Thanks Odessa. Do you have any familiarity with the Cheyenne? Quality, etc. I want a model 94 .44-40 as a shooter, so if I ever get a Cheyenne I plan to use it. I am sure the price will drastically drop. Maybe it's worth holding out for a used one somewhere down the road. What do you think?

Regards, Timberwolf
Timberwolf,

I have a Cheyenne 44-40 that I will sell for $595 + $10 for insurred shiping to the lower 48. It is NIB and unfired but the box sleeve is in poor condition and it has no papers, ie hang tag, and owners manuel.

See attachments for specifications. The photos are from the book "Winchester Commemoratives" by Tom Troland dated 1985 and it is out of print. Satisfaction guaranteed. Free three day inspction period. If you or anyone else would like actual photos of the rifle please send me your email address and I will take some photos with my digital camera and email them to you.

Thanks,

JJ

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Timberwolf,

I bought a Chief Crazy Horse (38/55) a couple of years ago for a price below list very similar to what Nitro is offering. I fired it a little over 100 times and sold it for a $50 profit. There's no guarantee but it can happen. I only got one serious call on that one and he bought it.

The commemoratives are pretty and some probably shoot good. But the ones that I've seen/held/shot don't seem to be of the same quality as the hunters off the rack. For a shooter you might be able to do it for less by just rebarreling a beater.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Winchester Commemorative

bartmasterson said:
Timberwolf,

I bought a Chief Crazy Horse (38/55) a couple of years ago for a price below list very similar to what Nitro is offering. I fired it a little over 100 times and sold it for a $50 profit. There's no guarantee but it can happen. I only got one serious call on that one and he bought it.

The commemoratives are pretty and some probably shoot good. But the ones that I've seen/held/shot don't seem to be of the same quality as the hunters off the rack. For a shooter you might be able to do it for less by just rebarreling a beater.
Hi Bart,

Please click here:

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=10683

and here:

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=10847

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi Nitro,

Yeah I'm sure that there are plenty of commemoratives that are good shooters. Most of the people who own them can't weigh in on the subject because they're afraid to shoot them to find out. My shooting experience was with one CCH Comm that held about a 12" group at 50 yds initially and finally got down to about 3" at that range with a pretty fair amount of tweaking. I have handled 5-6 other commemoratives with which I wasn't particularly impressed. They had the typical post-64 manufactured parts, rattled a lot and had a lot of play in the lever lockup. Rattling doesn't necessarily equate to poor performance. It's just that my one experience with a shooter commemorative wasn't real pleasant...pretty as it was. Next time I'll invest in a new barrel instead if I want the chambering.

You still got your CCH?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts