Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm rescoping my Rem 7mag (model 700) with a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16 x 42mm from Cabellas. I need to know what base and rings will work.

Here's a shot of the base already on:

What kind of base is this (is this a weaver style?), and what rings can I use with the current basefor that scope (30mm). Cabellas has some Warne 30mm rings, but they come in medium and high...

Sorry for the newbie questions, and THANKS for taking the time to respond.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,276 Posts
That would normally be called a "Redfield-style" base. You need a dovetail front and windage-adjustable rear ring. Many companies make them but of course, you can't go wrong getting the Redfield brand :)

Can't help much on the height. I have lots of extra pairs of rings that didn't work out!!!!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,953 Posts
The Redfield or Leupold base should work fine with medium height rings for the 42mm objective bell scope. As Mike says, either brand will work with this base.

·
Banned
484 Posts
Just to be sure...you are using a scope with a 30mm tube, right? That's the size rings i gave you the link for. If it is a 1" tube, let me know and i'll correct the link.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Bobby,
I'm looking at Midway's picture of the rings. I can see how the front ring mounts (insert and turn), but how does the windage-adjustable rear ring mount? Is there something just not showing in the photo?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Bobby,
I'm looking at Midway's picture of the rings. I can see how the front ring mounts (insert and turn), but how does the windage-adjustable rear ring mount? Is there something just not showing in the photo?
No, Stretch, all that is missing is the rings. The rear ring sits on top of the mount base and has semi-cylindrical recesses on its sides that accept the adjusting screws in the picture. Loosen one and tighten the other for windage adjustment. Tighten them by hand using something like a coin, snug but not over tight.

Mounting a new dovetail front ring can be pretty tight. Recommend you use something like a broomstick in the ring to seat it the first time, rather than the scope, to keep from damaging the scope with too much torque. Once the front ring is seated it should come off and on with little effort -- but still grasp the scope over the front ring as you turn it, rather than from the ocular bell. You want to apply the torque to the mount, not stress the scope tube.

Those old mounts have worked very well for a long time and are a good choice. Good shooting!

The Old Guy

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,953 Posts
Also, when turning in the front ring, a SMALL dab of grease in the lug recess works wonders for the installation - otherwise, the ring lugs and base will gall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts