Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,503 Posts
A war production of the 03-A3 Springfield by Remington. International Harvester even did a few.

RJ

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
It's a Springfield 1903A3 US service rifle made by Remington Arms Co. The date the barrel was made will be just behind the front sight next to the flaming bomb acceptance mark.

Reactions: kdub

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
It would take close examination to determine the originality of it, assuming its still in military dress. There're several for sale most all the time with prices that may or may not be realistic. If it's been altered in any way, the value takes a nose dive a long way down.
Just curious--Barrel date 44?

Reactions: Gil Martin

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,006 Posts
What someone is willing to pay. Condition is everything with old milsurp rifles like that, and the pictures don't show the entire gun. So......

Best bet is to check out on-line auctions, comparing their full-sized photos with what you have. And make sure you are looking at the prices paid at the end of the auction, not the initial asking price.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and glad to see you here. These folks have given good advice and the actual value is an unknown at this point. It would help if we had more information regarding the rifle and pictures would be ideal. All the best...
Gil

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,398 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would take close examination to determine the originality of it, assuming its still in military dress. There're several for sale most all the time with prices that may or may not be realistic. If it's been altered in any way, the value takes a nose dive a long way down.
Just curious--Barrel date 44?
It is a sporterized version. My uncle got it in the 1950s i was told thru some nra program.
hi
20210502_102656.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
3 is March 4? Just about has to be '43, 44 or 45. Shine a flashlight on it at low angle to better bring out the stamp.
The metal has not been changed so it could probably be put back in GI condition.
"Value" is expressed different ways. If I were BUYING the gun, the price would be lower than if I were SELLING it or INSURING it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If nothing but the stock has been altered, it would be worth getting a stock with handguard, bayonet lug, etc. And putting it back the way it came.

·
37,006 Posts
How's the bore look?

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you are looking to make money, it is probably at it's most profitable to sell right now. It appears to be a completely unmolested as far as the action, sights and barrel as the others said. That portion of the rifle has some value. If you want to put money into it so that it has the highest value, then you will need to do what others have mentioned and put it back to GI condition. This will be a labor of love an not really a profit making venture. You will have a sizeable amount of money tied up in the stock and all the stock steel pieces that are missing. And without original war time cartouches on the stock, it will not have the high end value of some of the 03-A3's that you will see sold on the interweb.

As far as setting values, it is really wide and depends on where you are. In the existing environment and as time goes on it will continue to grow in value if you leave it as is or take it back to GI. As issued 03-A3 actions and barrels are getting more difficult to find every day.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone with a hacksaw near it. If you have a hack saw, probably best you just get rid of it (the hacksaw that is). :)

·
37,006 Posts
I picked up one at a gun show a few years back. Probably re-stocked in the 50's or 60's. The finish had turned nearly black, but there was a glimmer of decent grain under all the filth. Inletting was probably done by a blind gorilla with a chain saw..... but as luck would have it, the stock cleaned up to show some beautiful grain. On top of that, once I got the bedding sorted out, it hit right on top of the front post at 100 yards with the only load I tried, and less than 2" for three shots. That may be as good as I can do with iron sights!

Someday, I'd like for a pig to be standing where I'm about to shoot it ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts