Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently joined a sportsmans club, and was asked to run a rifle shoot. I, of course, agreed, but having never done this, I don't have any idea what/where to find the rules.

I have looked through the NRA site, and am going back there after posting this - haven't found anything on searches either.

Any direction would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
nfmMike,
Ask the club member that asked you to run the match. You usually get roped into these things because the serious shooters want to compete without having to run the match. Or find out who has been running the match in the past. I belong to a small and rather simple club, they have a instruction set for range commands and match protocol for every type of match that we run. Your time will likely be far more productivley spent this way than trying to recreate the wheel.

·
Banned
87 Posts
nfmMike

I agree with kciH except for one thing, stick with the general rules but throw in a few surprises too. When my wife and I were with a mountain man club, I had the oppertunity to run a few matches for rifles/
handguns/knives/bows/tomahawks etc. etc. I always threw in something unexpected which usually evened the field out a little. I also loved the blanket shoot style of prizes. That's simply that every one brings a quality gift that they themselves would want to win. Then the first place shooter gets to pick first, second place shooter next [ you get the point] that way every one gets a prize.
Bob

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both - good ideas, I think I will find out if there are any existing instruction sets - somehow I doubt it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Most important is SAFETY. Some shooters just can't seem to comprehend SAFETY RULES.

When I've run shoots, aside from the Rules of that Match, safety was explained out front to all shooters. Violations were not tolerated.

JMHO. L.W.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, pay attention and you will see what you should have seen the first two times you looked!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts