Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently trying to get my new RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press set up. The problem I coming across is the freaking powder measure. I CANNOT get it to throw consistant charges. I'll get the desired weight (in this case 6.4 gr of Unique) and then when I try to do my 10 test charges, it freakin starts throwing heavy after 4 - 5 charges. This measure does NOT have a freaking set screw which REALLY surprises me. Any help or suggestion would be MUCH appreciated.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular measure as I use a Lee measure but have you tried putting baffles in it? If it's brand new you may need to run a full canister of graphite coated powder through it so that everything is running smoothly and the powder is not sticking to anything. Also mine seems to give the best consistency when it has quite a bit of powder in the hopper. As I stated I have not used an RCBS measure but I know Lee suggests running a couple full canisters of powder through one before you actually start using it just to get everything kind of lubed up. I don't use baffles in my Lee measure and have never had a problem I just try to keep it 1/2 to 3/4 full the entire time I'm using it and this seems to work well for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
+1 to what Range Junkie said. I had a similar problem with mine at first, but got the same advice from a friend. Tried it and it worked. Had to fill the powder measure twice and run the powder through it by cycling the mechanism, but if you set it for a large charge it does not take too long. Also I too find that the measure is more accurate if it is more full than not. Somewhere in this forum or another, I read about how to make a baffle out of poster board that would supposedly help, but after doing the above, I found it unnecessary. Hope it works for you.
moosie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran about 3/4 of a pound of Unique through it last night. I think ill try and throw the heaviest charge it can throw and try running the pound of powder I have through it a couple more times. thnx for the help...hopefully this fix's it.

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
BD,

Two things: One is that the big Unique flakes are just about the hardest powder to meter accurately that there is. Next time, get Hodgdon Universal Clays (not Clays or International Clays) instead of Unique and work up a load with that. It is close to Universal in burn rate (usually Universal needs about 5% less charge up to the same charge as Unique, depending on the particular cartridge and case fill). It meters much more easily through a powder measure and it burns a lot cleaner. Both pluses.

Second, if you need powder baffle templates, I have some with instructions that you can download free in PDF format from my file repository, here.

·
Registered
291 Posts
+1 on what Unclenick said. Universal Clays meters very well.
One other thing is with that progressive press the powder measure may be exposed to inconsistent movement and vibrations. When using a progressive press there are more parts moving up and down and around which transmits to more vibrations to the powder measure. Powder measures are more apt to opperate consistently when everything else is consistent. Try to move the press lever at a consistent speed and force each time you move it.
Cary

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
BD,
I use and like Unique a lot but as unclenick told you, those big flakes of powder just don't meter well. IME, when those big flakes get cut by the powder drum, the the powder closest to the drum compacts in the reservoir so following charges vary all over the place. Unique can be metered in a powder measure but it requires a lot of TLC (no cutting of the flakes) and not too much of it in the reservoir. Do as the others have suggested, use a powder that meters well. Most likely, there is nothing wrong with your powder measure, it's the powder that you're using.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Have you tried calling RCBS, the help line? They can be of more help than the people here as they work with the RCBS tooling every day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts