Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently reloaded some 30-06 rounds with Nosler custom brass, 125gr NBT, & 52 grains of REL 17. In hindsight I did not seat the bullets to the minimum of .308 inthe case. I was trting to reach my lands. Ended up only .25 into case. All the brass has soot on the outside of the case indicating not enough pressure to seat the case in the chamber. Not a ruptured primer. Is this all because of my seating?

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I recently reloaded some 30-06 rounds with Nosler custom brass, 125gr NBT, & 52 grains of REL 17. In hindsight I did not seat the bullets to the minimum of .308 inthe case. I was trting to reach my lands. Ended up only .25 into case. All the brass has soot on the outside of the case indicating not enough pressure to seat the case in the chamber. Not a ruptured primer. Is this all because of my seating?
There is no "minimum" that a bullet must be seated into the neck of a case and I don't think that is the source of your problem. The condition you're describing is usually caused by too light of a powder charge, under a light-for-caliber bullet. I use to see it a lot when fire-forming cases, before I started using heavier bullets. Alliant's website shows 58gr as a maximum charge of RL-17, but that was under a 150gr bullet, so I'm guessing that as your powder charge comes up (regardless of seating depth) you'll see less soot on the case.

Personally, I think RL-17 is slower than you'll want for the '06 and a 125gr bullet. I'd go with RL-15 or RL-12, if you prefer that brand of powder. If you've got some 4895 on the shelf, it would be even better, imho.

Seating the bullet deeper WILL increase pressure, possibly sealing the case to the chamber better, before the bullet has exited the neck, so you may find that helps, but based on the Alliant website info, you're using a powder charge below recommended minimum, and/or too slow.

Hope this helps.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track but I wonder about you powder charge and choice of powder. My manual doesn't list Rel 17 for that weight of bullet nor does it list for any other bullet in that chambering. With Rel 15 your charge is the minimum charge recommended and with the other Rel powders charge weights are higher but then so are bullet weights.

·
Banned
863 Posts
"Is this all because of my seating?"

The seating isn't relivant. Combo of a "light" charge of a "slow" powder under a very light bullet = low peak pressure, allowing for gas to leak at the neck. Not harmful.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,201 Posts
Yep - what the others have said. Light load of slow powder for bullet weight. Need to use a faster burning propellent to eliminate the carbon on the cases.

As recommended, the Nosler manual recommends RL15 as the most accurate powder used in their testing, with a start load of 52.0 gr and a max of 56.0 gr.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mistyped. It was 52gr REL 15. Is suposed to be minimun yet most accurate. I will try and load a litte heavier on charge.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Mistyped. It was 52gr REL 15. Is suposed to be minimun yet most accurate. I will try and load a litte heavier on charge.
IMHO, RL-15 is still a little slow for that bullet weight, but as your charge creeps up the higher pressure will seal the case better and result in little or no soot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.