Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been a long time shooter of the boomsticks. I have an old Bear bow that has been broken for about 10 years now I never got it fixed. Any way I have shot a bow before so I kinda know the basics well extream basics. Im realy concidering purchaseing one but I have no idea what to look for, or how much money I need to spend to get a good one that will last me and get the job done. Im planning on going bow hunting next year so I figgured im gonna buy one some time in the next few months and start practicing. I have shot a compound bow with a draw weight of 70lb and I beleve it was an 80% break. Im under the impression that the bow needs to be fitted to you. Inother words the draw length has to fit you. I am planning on using a mechanical release, ive used them before and found i like them. Anyway do you have any recomendaitions or suggestions for someone wanting to get into bow's for recreation and for hunting. O I think im gonna get a compound bow and just cause i think their cool I may invest in a log bow or recurve if I have any money left. :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just like shopping for guns its best to just hit the shops and pick up every bow you can get your hands on. A lot of guys find a brand they like and then they only shoot "X" brand forever. Just dont get sucked into the whole speed thing. Any compound produced today is more than fast enough to take game at reasonable distances and if just target shooting lots of speed makes the bow much less forgiving accuracy-wise.

All that said, I shoot PSE and have owned Martin, Bear, and Matthews in the past.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have shot many bows in the past. PSE makes a pretty good bow for the money. Mathews makes a very fine product. Go to an archery shop and they will usuallt let you shoot a couple different bows and you can find one of your liking. As for money you can expect to pay anywhere from $300 to $800 +. I shoot a Mathews DXT. I have about $1000 bucs in it ready to hunt. Just shop around find one that fits you. Happy shooting

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have shot many bows in the past. PSE makes a pretty good bow for the money. Mathews makes a very fine product. Go to an archery shop and they will usuallt let you shoot a couple different bows and you can find one of your liking. As for money you can expect to pay anywhere from $300 to $800 +. I shoot a Mathews DXT. I have about $1000 bucs in it ready to hunt. Just shop around find one that fits you. Happy shooting
The bear bow i have stuffed awawy one of the cams is broken i used it for about 4 or 5 months and let an idot shoot it who decided to dry fire it when I was not paying attention. I have also use a recurve bow in the past well more or less just shooting it.

I live out in the middle of noware well not that bad. I got a fealing im going to have to travel a good distance to go look at em. Porbably 3 or 4 hours so I want to have a perty good idea of what im looking for before I go. I probably will not me makeing many trips.

Is it better to buy one of those bows already set up with everything or to peace it together?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bows that are already set up will work fine. They usually come with basic equip. attached. I usually piece mine together with a little bit better equip. than those that come already set up

·
Registered
127 Posts
everybody has a good bow out now & they cost about the same,as hillestadj said shoot as many as you can & pick the one thats feels & fits you best.make sure you get the correct draw length.ive had bear,pse,
mathews,martin,bowtech,diamond which is owned by bowtech & i currently shoot a hoyt alphamax 32. i have loved all of them but i have to say i enjoy the alphamax more. good luck

·
Registered
484 Posts
My first compound was a hand me down. It worked OK and I used it for years. I got rid of it after I had not shot for 5 or so years but recently decided to get back into it again. I went to a pro shop and shot a couple. I chose a Mathews Reezen. It shoots really sweet. Set at 70lbs with an 80% let off. The advantages of going to a pro shop are great. You can normally shoot a bow to see if it feels good. They will then fit you and make sure the rig is right. They will set it up for you unless you are into doing yourself. Then they can make some fine adjustments as you get the rig broken in. The only drawback is the price is a bit higher than at the big box sporting goods store. The service I received during this experience was nothing short of incredible. I will gladly pay a little additional $$ for great service. I would advise going a shooting a few bows and see which one calls to you. Then you can make a more informed decision.

Good Luck

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts
I would look around to see what you can find used. Should be able to somewhat adjust the draw length and pull weight, at least on a decent bow.

I started out bowhunting with one that a friend gave to me. Granted it wasn't top of the line but hey you gotta start somewhere. Matthews is a good name and I have my buddie's old Oregon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts