Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently purchashed a Lee Breech lock Challenger. i have purchased a lee 9mm luger 3 die set and a Lee Carbide Factory Pistol Crimp Die 9mm Luger 90860. ok i will be using once fired brass cartridges. i have purchased some 9MM caliber 125 grain Round Nose bullets - 250 count MATCH GRADE from midatlantic bullets.
The question i have is what would be a decent powder and primers i can purchase ? I live in the Cincinnati , Ohio area , Do i have to buy this in store somewhere? or can i purchase online?

once i get rolling i plan on casting my own bullets. i have a bunch of lead laying around and some time coming up.

any help with the primers and powder would be greatly apprieciated.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,980 Posts
Best place to start is by reading your reloading manual.

Reactions: mjyeagle

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Read your manual and do the load work up for YOUR pistol. No way to say what YOUR pistol will like. Not picking on the op but these posts drive me nuts!!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Primers and powders can be purchased on line, but right now, they may be hard to find. You will also have to pay a $27 hazardous material fee on top of the normal shipping. If you are ordering several thousand primers and a couple pounds of powder, many times the savings and many times not having to pay the sales tax willl offset that fee. If you plan to do much shooting and find small pistol primers and they are not price gouging, you may find them for less than $30 per 1,000you will probably want to go ahead and order at least thee thousand if not a few more. A pound of powder should give you more than enough for 1,000 loads so I would order one pound per 1,000 primers. For practice, I use Barry's copper clad bullets and Montana Gold's. You can buy the clad bullets cheaper than most of the cast.

As for the type powder, that might depend on what you can find that will work. W231 is a good, clean burning powder and should work in a 9mm but it's also a popular powder and may be all gone, I use it in my wifes 40 S&W with 135 grain clad bullets for her practice rounds. Accurate #7 is another good powder for it. As others have mentioned, you will need to look at a manaul to see what powders will meet you needs and then see what's available.

For Primers, it's probably going to depend on what's you can find, I would not get the magnum unless those are all that can be had. They will work but you might have to reduce a max load a couple of tenths using them.

Since you live in a fairly large city, you may find the stuff local, I live in a one horse southern town and there's nothing to be had anywhere near me.

Not sure how much shooting you plan on doing, but 250 bullets are nothing. I would look at ordering at least 1,000 and then hope you can get more when those run out. 9mm bullets are one of the most popular, so there is no telling what availability will be later. Hopefully things will get back to somewhat of a normal status in a few months but if not, you may not be doing much shooting when what you have runs out. Also, with the prices of lead going through the roof and what ever the feds end up doing, they are only going to get more expensive later on.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I never found a lot of difference in performance or accuracy between any of the Standard Small Pistol primers in the 9mm. There are differences in how much powder you might use, but not a lot. These days it's more a matter of what you can even find.

Over many years, I've used Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, Herco, and Blue Dot from the Alliant/Hercules products, HP-38, Universal, and now from Hodgdon W231. Some powders were more cost effective, some gave more velocity, bet every one shot well enough to be good if they were what you could find.

Best, just for flexibility, would be a tie between Unique, W231, and Universal. Not picky for small variations, decent velocities without excessive pressures. The risk of a 4/8lb canister of any of those powders being bad in your 9mm, is about "0".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brass,Bullets,Primers and Powder re-reply

Thanks BKieth and Tman yes i think i am going to load up on a couple k of each , i know im going to get somewhat gouged on my brass & bullets! The brass is really hard to find around here , they want like 5times the regular$$. I have a line on some brass but if that dont happen im affraid i will be forced to pay $34.00 per 500+ plus shipping online. as far as the bullets go i payed like $17.00 for 250 of those 125 grain match grade bullets w/$5. delivered. i prolly could have or should have found something different to start with? (primers,powder)ive been assured via email that a local gun range is going to have those tomorrow. all an all im chaulking up the 1k of ammo or so as a learning investment!

Powder my first thought was Red Dot, Ive heard a lot of good about it but then again ive heard good about the W231 so at this point im just going to get which ever is available!!

Thanks again BKieth and TMAN i post when i make a good bullet that actually shoots out of my gun!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Check with Star Line Brass, they are still are their normall price https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/9MM-Brass/. Their 9mm is $70 for 500. I just caught them a couple of days before a run of 10mm and got 500 @ $90 with free shipping. I just looked and they are on back order again until March now. My 10mm was free shipping, I'm not sure about the 9mm. 500 may not cost enough to qualify.

Wow, I just notice you said $34 for 500. That must be used brass. I don't buy used, I guess it's ok but my Glocks are not known for being easy on brass anyway, not the 10mm and 40 S&W anyway, so I keep high qaulity brass in them.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Powder my first thought was Red Dot, Ive heard a lot of good about it but then again ive heard good about the W231 so at this point im just going to get which ever is available!!
Red Dot is very efficient in a 9mm, and many have it on hand for 12ga target loads, it's nearly as good as Bullseye in .38 WC target loads. It works in the 9mm, but it has a rather narrow window of function. I mentioned I had used it, but there are better options, and W231 would be my choice if I saw both on a shelf. If you see Unique in a 4 or 8lb canister, W231 or Universal in an 8lb'er, they all work quite well in multiple handgun applications. I always have Unique as it can be used in 12ga field loads, 20ga target loads, most if not all handguns with cast or jacketed bullets, and my .30-30 and .35 Remington both like Unique with cast bullets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts