Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have H322 powder, Remington brass and CCI BR2 primers...I'm looking for some advice on powder dosage.

I've looked at Hodgdens online data and also a few reloading manuals...but I thought I'd reach out for some loads that have worked well for some of you guys (and gals?)

The rifle is a Marlin 1895 (not the Guide Gun) and I'd like to get them up around 1800-1850 fps...

I'm brand new at loading cast lead...I shot my first ones (330 grains) a couple of weeks ago. It didn't work out so good...I didn't lap the barrel first :D (I knew better than that...but did it anyway)

They were accurate until my barrel leaded up...I was shooting them a bit too fast was part of the problem, they were not hard enough.

I have some 405's on the way to my house as we speak....can't wait to see what they'll do.

·
Banned
668 Posts
Marlin 1895 45-70
405 grain Cast LFNGC seated to 2.56"
Winchester brass, 2.1" trim
CCI 200 primer
45 grains Reloder 10X START
48.5 grains Reloder 10X MAXIMUM ≈1721 fps
40 grain Reloder 7 START
44 grain Reloder 7 MAXIMUM ≈1791 fps
48.5 grains H322 START
54 grains H322 MAXIMUM 1935-2000 fps

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You...I was curious what the 10x would do.

Dr. A gave me some load data on Marlin Owners forum for the H322...I think 50-52 grains should be about right.

·
Registered
784 Posts
50g H322 under 425g BTB gives me 1963 fps from my guide gun. Look at other velocitiies for this powder for an idea of potential pressure issues.

I would not put any more pressure in my GS than this load. It is very dangerous to use hand-me-down loads without doing a rigorous workup and evaluation. The 45/70 case can blow up your gun without giving any over-pressure indications on the components.

So far there are a lot of different listed velocities on the internet for 50g of H322. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of real life pressure data to help us out.

Grizz

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks for the warning Griz...I have a chrono and will work up from around 48 grains.

Good deal. I'd be very interested to see your data when you get it tabulated. Your bullet is a little lighter so you might expect to get a little higher velocity, but there are other variables too. Look forward to your results.

Grizz

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good deal. I'd be very interested to see your data when you get it tabulated. Your bullet is a little lighter so you might expect to get a little higher velocity, but there are other variables too. Look forward to your results.

Grizz

I will be sure to post the data here, but it may be a week or 3...I'm an OTR truck driver so it takes me a while to get these things done...but they will get done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As promised...

405 LFNGC (Beartooth), Remington brass, CCI BR2 primer, 50 grains of H322, OAL 2.55" ...1,883 fps from a 22 inch Marlin 1895.

The same load in Winchester brass....1,893 fps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A full report...finally.

I'm battered and bruised (busted lip and a sore shoulder)...but I'm happy as can be :biggrin:

Only 4 rounds because I was running low on ammo when I finally made it out to the 100 yard line, I hate sighting in open sights...takes too much concentration (exact sight picture).

I was holding 1 inch below the black square in the center...I wanted to make sure I got a group, and I thought maybe they would be higher than they were. I have read that the Skinner sights won't always go low enough to get on target at 100 yards. Mine is screwed all the way down.

3 inches high at 100 yards was my goal...I'm glad it worked out without needing another front sight.

These were the last 4 of 20 rounds fired...so I'm confident now that I don't have any barrel leading issues.

Average velocity for 20 rounds...1,886 fps (same as the previous ones)
ES...21 fps

Sorry for the dark pic...the calipers say 1.508", so thats a 1.05" group...Fired prone off a backpack at 100 yards with Skinner receiver mounted peep rear sight and factory front sight.

Thanks are in order...to Rowdy on MarlinOwners forum for his help on getting me started with cast bullets at rifle velocities.

I'm now loaded and ready for anything walking the planet...and unless its at a trophy elk, bear, deer, etc. at extended range....I will never again fire this rifle from the prone position.

Final load specs: This is a 38,000 psi load...not for use in Trapdoor rifles

405 Beartooth LFN/GC
50 grains of H322
Remington brass trimmed to 2.095"
CCI BR2 primer
OAL crimped in the crimp groove...2.555" (seated to 2.558", which is to the top of the crimp groove, then crimped on an RCBS die in a separate operation)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts