Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a post 64 Winchester 94 Wrangler I in 32 Win.Spl. The finish on the receiver is starting to come off. The flashing Winchester used is starting to show through. I DO NOT like it.
The receiver has rolled engraving.

I have contacted Winchester and they do not do this type of finish anymore. I do not know what they use. But in order to cut costs Winchester went from forging to casting and/or pressurizing powdered metals to form receivers. The receiver will NOT accept conventional bluing. So Winchester flashed a metal onto the receiver so it will accept bluing.

So now I have a receiver that has the finish coming off. I want to have it refinished. I have contacted several companies and individuals that use modern materials like Teflon and such. But the pictures do not tell me a whole lot.

Has anyone had a post 64 Winchester refinished? What does it look like? I do not want a military matte finish. I would prefer to have the bluing look. But I am open to other options. I also want to keep the rolled engraving.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Yanqui,
Well this isn't much of an answer for you, but you could drop an email to Turnbull Restoration and get a recommendation from them.

http://www.gunshop.com/dougt.htm

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but this might get you pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alyeska338,

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I finally decided on a finish for my Winchester 94 Wrangler I. I decided to go with Rogard from Robar Industries. http://www.robarguns.com/

I wish I could have seen work from other finishers. It would have been nice to be able to compare the finishes. But the Rogard looked damn good. I decided to have it completely finished. I'm just a little uneasy on how the rolled engraving will look.

I dropped it off today and I should have it within 4-6 weeks.

Robar Industries is in Phoenix just a few miles away.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Yanqui:

Once you get it back you should do the wood too. If you need help with different finishes, I'll be glad to help!!

Chris~

Here's how the wood turned out on mine after a "refinish"...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
m14a1,

Your Winchester looks damn good.

My plan is to get SRC stock/forearm (Cowboy retrofit) from http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/ and fit it to my Wrangler. I have never done this type of work so I will have questions. I do not know what kind of finish I want though.

But first I have to pay for the refinishing on my Wrangler. If it comes out looking like I hope it will then I will have my Wrangler II refinished as well. I know it will look good but I hope the engraving looks good.

The humidity this summer attacked my Wrangler II as well. I found a couple teeny tiny spots of rust on the receiver. I cleaned it up but the flashing is showing. It is no big deal now but that is how my Wrangler I started.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts