Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's a beauty....

Near perfect finish (that gorgeous hand polished blue), beautifully clean bore, tight lockup, 6.5" barrel and overall finish and appearance is in the 98% category.  It doesn't look like it has been shot much at all.  The store owner wants &#36399.   Can someone give me the blue book value of this pistol?

For those that are familiar with my big bore search, would this 41 mag meet my needs as a combo packing pistol and hunter?  My primary concern is the availability of low cost (cast) practice bullets.  I know where I'll purchase my hunting bullets  :biggrin:   Or, am I better off to follow my original plan and just purchase the Bisley Blackhawk in 45 colt at the end of the month?

Working the action of that 3 screw sure brings a smile to my face!

God Bless,

Alan

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The "2000 Standard Catalog of Firearms" list the price of this revolver in excellent condition as &#36350.  There is nothing wrong with the .41 Magnum, but personally, I would prefer the .45 Colt.  The ammo is cheaper if you buy factory, it's available anywhere, and there is a bigger selection of bullets and EVERYONE and their grandmother makes brass for the .45 Colt.  Certainly isn't any shortage of reloading data either.  Still, I can say nothing negative about the .41 Magnum, it was, is, and always will be an excellent round.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a .41, a .44 and a .45 and like them all. I prefer the .41 for most uses as it is flatter shooting than either of the others. I just bought a new .41 Blackhawk with the 4 5/8" bbl for easier carrying but will continue to use the long bbl for serious handgun hunting.

For plinking, I use a reduced load of AA#7 and find that it is a pleasant and fun round to shoot. For hunting, I use AA#9 for 1700 fps with a 215 grain bullet and have no problems with game at a hundred yards. I enjoy shooting all of them but the flatter trajectory is a plus. LBT has a new 255 grain bullet for the .41 that the techs at Accurate Arms say is a real stopper. Can't wait to try it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alan,

You found a neat gun thats just a little over priced. The 41 mag isn't my cup of tea but it is a good round. Inexpensive practice bullets are out there but not in the broad spectrum of the 44 and 45 caliber. I'd offer &#36350 on the gun and if he bites go ahead. The worst that could happen is you purchase a gun that will do nothing but increase in value as time passes, they won't be building any Old Models anytime soon.

If you wind up liking the 41 then you've found yourself a great gun. I still believe that a 44 or 45 caliber Bisley will be your best choice.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Yes!

I remember when my Grandmother used to make 45 Colt brass. Was a LONG time ago..........................

:biggrin:

:cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gents - thanks for the feedback.

MT - if he doesn't bite on &#36350, I'll probably get the Bisley Blackhawk.  Another option is a NIB 4 5/8" Blackhawk 45 colt for &#36289 (from the same dealer as the Bisley [&#36352]).  He's had it in inventory for 7 months and wants to move it.  The only problem with the latter options is l'd have to wait till the end of the month to get my hands on them.  All this gun talk with no gun to show for it is wearing me down   :biggrin:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alan,

Thats a good price for either but &#36289 for the shorty Blackhawk would make me think long and hard. Hey its nearly the 9th of the month, not too  much longer. You can make it.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Alan,

&#36399 is a bit much, but then again that's where gun dealers make their real money. Used guns have a built-in dicker value. How much varies from dealer to dealer. A 3-screw .41 in the indicated condition is a &#36340-&#36370 gun. Offer &#36350, if he doesn't bite go &#36360. Beyond that, I'm not sure if it's the best choice.

Of the guns you mentioned, I'd personally opt for the .41 Magnum as well. A terrific cartridge that will do just about anything anyone could want from a handgun. The .44 would be second, the .45 third.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks one and all for the info - you guys are great.

Bill - the owner simply gave me one of those "NOT!" grins when I offered him &#36350.  It appears the OMBH simply was not meant for me.  And that's OK cuz' I'm working on another deal...a near new SS shorty Blackhawk 45 colt (what I've really wanted from the get-go) for &#36240 + shipping and FFL fees.  If the owner agrees to a 10 trial for inspection, me thinks I'll have my trail gun.  I'll keep the 41 caliber in mind for a future long-barreled pistol...I still need to ease that idea into conversation with my bride  :biggrin:

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Alan,

Sorry to hear the dealer was so set on the asking price. Unless someone comes along that needs a .41 for his 3-screw Blackhawk collection, I think he lost his best bet for a speedy sale. A shame but that's part of the game.

If and/or when you get the shorty .45, let me know. I have a ton of load data from my own that may be useful for you. I did a lot of experimentation with the .45 Colt and that gun in particular.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Morning Bill and thank you!  I'll be taking you up on that offer.  The gent who's selling the SS Blackhawk will split shipping costs and he has no problem with honoring a 10 day inspection period.

I have, on hand, Win  231 and Herc 2400.  I'd like to use this powder up and then buy whatever will be best for plinking, mid-power and hunting loads.

God Bless,

Alan

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Alan,

Winchester 231 and Alliant 2400 should be excellent choices for all your .45 Colt needs, from light target loads to elk busters. I did do some work with 231 and 260-grain Keith SWC's home cast using a Lyman mold. I settled on 7.5 grains for a balance of top accuracy and economy. While I didn't have a chronograph when testing that Blackhawk, I'd wager this combination to be good for around 825-875 fps depending on the individual gun. It shot well, my notes indicating a tested average of 2" for five, six-shot groups from a sandbag rest at 25 yards. I think that's a pretty decent general purpose load, largely duplicating the blackpowder load that "made" the .45 Colt but with a better projectile shape. Marshall's WFN's should be even better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts