Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an older Savage, Model 840, caliber 222. I want to put a new scope on it. At the gun shop they explained to me there are not many new scopes that you can put on it as the scope has to have trim, slender eye piece for the bolt action not to hit the scope. Anybody know of a cheaper scope that would work for this gun? Thanks for your expertise on this!

·
Premium Member
14,826 Posts
WhistlePig-- Have you got a scope on it now? If not, please reconsider. That gun was not made for scope sights but some have been adapted to work, after a fashion.

The scope mount has to be mounted to the side of the receiver and the scope has to be small and offset. It's really not a good gun to try to scope.

If there's a scope on it now, what is the diameter of the tube?

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI - A good suggestion might be to put a good peep sight like a Tech-sight on this. Do you have room for that with the bold handle? Unless you are trying for 'Target' quality this might be best.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Really easy, if it is tapped for a side mount. Weaver base and side ring mount.
Welcome Whistle.

My 340 (and it's twin Springfield 840) likes the 50 gr Hornady v-mag.

A 3-9xx32 Bushnell fits perfectly, no interferrence and good eye relief. Not a high end scope, but mine will shoot sub MOA all day long. It is fine for my eyes on PDs and groundhog and rock-chucks out to about 220 yards. MY eyes are very bad. The scope is rugged, same model works on 338 win maf for 2000 rounds, tracks perfectly.

Somewhere in my shop I have the Weaver base number, can't remember where right now. Quick e-mail to Weaver; and they will get the number by days end. Both the base and side mount are available Free shipping on Amazon. I ordered one in Aug, got it in 3 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts