Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 870 that was drilled and tapped from the factory, so I put a weaver rail and Nikon scope on it.

At the moment i'm using some cheap, off-brand, extra-high rings that I had laying around. I think they came with a truglo 4x scope I put on my .22lr...

I shoot 3" Lightfields because they are extemely accurate. Basically one big hole at 100 yards. However, the recoil is quite strong. I'd say double my .300 win mag.

If I tighten down the rings, it'll stay on zero for 3-4 shots, but then start to wander after that.

Any recomendations for some seriously strong rings that will hold to some serious heavy recoil?

Thanks!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Aluminum or alloy rings might not be the best for this situation. Find some solid steel rings. Leupold or Burris make "Z" rings which will fit your mount and are made of steel.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I shoot 3" Lightfields because they are extemely accurate. Basically one big hole at 100 yards. However, the recoil is quite strong. I'd say double my .300 win mag.
3" Lightfields are definately killers on both ends, and if anything could get a scope moving in the rings, those would be a good, make that a real good, bet.

Two suggestions.
My Nikon has remained in place for several seasons of lightfields, and I hold it in place with Leupold Matte rings. I think the matte finish might grip the tube a bit better than smooth rings.
Try a box of Remington Buckhammers. They shoot just as well as the Lightfields from my fully rifled and Rem Choke barrels, and cost half as much. If they kick any less, I can't tell as both are brutal from a bench.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Try a box of Remington Buckhammers. They shoot just as well as the Lightfields from my fully rifled and Rem Choke barrels, and cost half as much. If they kick any less, I can't tell as both are brutal from a bench."

I'd like to stick with a sabot slug. I got real tired of cleaning the lead out of the rifled barrel. I've tried every other type of sabot slug in existence, and none would group worth a crap at even 50 yards.

Lightfield claims their slugs are really clean to shoot, and that they only clean their test barrels once a year or every 4000-5000 rounds...

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Ring lapping kits assure exact alignment in the relation of rings and scope tubes.

Administrator MikeG has often recommended the application of rubber cement to scope rings where the scope tube moves a bit.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have a set of Leupold Medium high PRW on my Browning Gold 20 ga. slug gun. Also remember if your gun doesn't have the cantilever scope base on the barrel, then if you have to mount a scope on the receiver be aware that if you remove the barrel to clean it this will change the POI.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have some 1"/30MM heavy duty aluminum tactical rings available in High or Low. The low rings are $22.95, the high rings are $28.95. Send me a PM with your email address for photos.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I like the Leupold rings, I have them on all of my seriously powerful guns.

Jerry

·
Registered
96 Posts
Buckhammers and Leupold

Hi guys,
I sure am glad I found out about Buckhammers--talk about accurate. I was spending my time and buying all the hype over the costly stuff. It makes no difference how much they cost. If companies want to use all the best materials and advertise like mad-add to that the fancy boxes, that extra cost just gets passed on to the guy sighting in. The only thing worse is to have your scope get lose after you went through all that money for five shells in a box. You can kill both pains in the butt by spending a bit more on the mount-not the slug. I started in July and finally got it right by October. I knew I struck gold when the range officer asked me what kind of slug made such a tight-easy to see-pattern. They look like a wadcutter hole. But I put three different scopes on my rifled 20 ga 870 before I was done. I ended up with a Prostaff 3x9 and Leupold hardware. I'm a happy camper now, but I'll tell ya that little gun will knock your hat off. In short, the mounting is at least 50% of the game. And if you haven't yet, give the Hammers a try. All those boxs of Hornady and Rem copper solids I still have are going to collect dust. I bought several years worth of the Buckhammers because at the time I had the money and I just plain knew I could never improve those groups. I was so proud I took some three shot groups and put them up in the trophy room. Thanks guys.
Sincerely,
Michael Sicowitz

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,
It's a hardened lead and I have had no issues with fouling. It is for fully rifled barrels but a choke tube will work if needed. Besides, you sight in and in a few shots there's no fouling anyway. We all keep our barrels clean anyhow. Give them a try and if your gun fouls clean it.
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.