Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always liked our home with the 18 stairs in the front hallway until September 5th. I got a tad clumsy at 0400. Started down to visit the:eek loo and had a stroke about 2 steps down from the top.
I broke left and right wrists and forearms and have been in therapy. I have no clumsiness or weakness in my hands and no mental lasting problem.
My problema gran is that I have problems racking a slide on one of my pistolas and want to stay with a revolver until my strength.
I have a S&W M-64 3" with Pachmayers and it seems to fill the bill.
I will be thankful for any advice, whether I use it or not. One thing is a smooth action job with the hammer spur bobbed. I have also been thinking about Mag-Na-Port.

Anyone who may have encountered a shooting buddy with a similar problem, or who has such problems of their own let me know.
I'll dang sure stand for the coffee.

Alan Yates
[email protected] :eek:
Concord, NH

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I always liked our home with the 18 stairs in the front hallway until September 5th. I got a tad clumsy at 0400. Started down to visit the:eek loo and had a stroke about 2 steps down from the top.
I broke left and right wrists and forearms and have been in therapy. I have no clumsiness or weakness in my hands and no mental lasting problem.
My problema gran is that I have problems racking a slide on one of my pistolas and want to stay with a revolver until my strength.
I have a S&W M-64 3" with Pachmayers and it seems to fill the bill.
I will be thankful for any advice, whether I use it or not. One thing is a smooth action job with the hammer spur bobbed. I have also been thinking about Mag-Na-Port.

Anyone who may have encountered a shooting buddy with a similar problem, or who has such problems of their own let me know.
I'll dang sure stand for the coffee.

Alan Yates
[email protected] :eek:
Concord, NH

Sorry for the tough injury. Have you tried racking the slide by pushing the rear sight against a desk or wall corner?

Good skill to learn, as you never know when you'll lose the use of an arm in a gun fight.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ouch! That's gotta hurt. I hope you have someone at home who really likes you cause I know from personal experience there are some things you can't do in your condition, I'm sure you know what I mean. Along the lines of what leverite said, I know I can cock my p89 dc by pushing the slide just above the barrel against the corner of a door molding. But if that hurts too much go with the revolver. Hope you heal up quickly!:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im in a similar boat, I have severe arthritis, i have a 9mm semi but since i struggle with the slide im not comfortable with it, i keep it ready to go in my bedside safe just incase....that being said i am looking for a nice revolver, have been looking at Taurus and Rossi, cant afford to refinance my home to buy a pistol!

God Bless

Jim

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sorry for your injury and I hope your are recouping. A few things I would mention;
a) Most people don't know the correct way to rack a slide. They try to do it with their thumb and index finger. Takes alot of strength in those two digits to do it, especially if you have a combat spring like some combat pistols do. Their reasoning I b/l is that it is forceful enough to grind any debris that may obstruct the action such as dirt. The correct way to rack the slide is to rest the base of your palm on one side of the slide and grip with all four fingers on the opposite side. It gives you a strong grip and is easier than two fingers.
b) You can purchase after market springs that are not as stiff as factory combat pistol springs that are lighter but still get the job done from companies like Wolf spring.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Go with a double action revolver. S&W, Ruger, and Colt are what I would reccommend. You don't have to buy a brand new Revolver. Get a used one. most reputable gun shops have used guns. My suggestion as to caliber would be a .357 mag for the reason that you can shoot mild .38 specials all the way up to heavy .357 mag rounds. That S&W M-64 you mentioned you have should fit the bill. Go for the pachmayers decelarator and smoothing the trigger if you think it eeds it. personally I'd stay away from Mangna porting and bobbing the hammer (if you have to cock it you can do it with your bad hand if it isn't bobbed). I have an Aunt that had a stroke similar to yours a couple of years ago and she is still recovering from it. It could take a while for you to recover. I hope you do so quickly!!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
If you have to have a Semi auto, get one with big block on the rear sight so you can rack it on a holster or other hard surface. Or you can just point and click with a revolver. I recommend staying with your current revolver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This may seem radical, but a AR Pistol uses the charging handle to rack a round into the chamber. Since the recoil tube sticks about 8 inches out the back, a cuff from a set of cruches could be attached to give your arm additional support for the AR.

Like I said just a radical thought.

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
This may sound too radical, but a AR pistol uses a charging handle to chamber the first round. It also has a recoil tube (about 8 Inches) that a cuff from a set of crutches could be applied to that would give additional arm support to.

Just a crazy idea.

Jim

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
aryfrosty,

Hope you recover shortly and get back to 100%. I'll stick with the M64 (I have a love relationship with a 3" HB K frame) and load with what you are capable of. If you are looking for a small auto look at Beretta's tip up barrel models, largest caliber now I believe is .32 ACP but the did make the model M86 in .380 single stack which is a medium frame TDA gun. The tip up barrels do not require racking the slide to chamber a round. Would also look at specific exercises to improve your grip strength (ie squezzing tennis balls). Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery again.

CD

·
Banned
397 Posts
There is nothing at all wrong with what you have. Just
take it out and shoot it. Practice with it at home, until
you get stronger and can shoot any gun. Good luck.

Zeke

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wimpy guns...

Thanks for all the advice folks. It is all good. Just to find out I took my pre-70 Colt Trooper 4" to the range today. With 125 grainers I can handle the .357mag recoil very well. I'm going to keep on keeping on until I get my hand strength back.
Big Jim, that ain't no crazy idea. One I have is a Brugger and Thomet TP-9. (Vice Steyr MP-9). It uses an AR style charging lever and I can work it just fine. BUT ! I have been wanting to get an AR style pistol for a while now and I think this might be the excuse I need to get the acquiesence of my wife and go look for one tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Hogue Grips or Pachmayer Professional

You may want to consider Hogue Grips or Pachmayer Professional Grips with an open back strap for your S&W 64. This will get more of your finger around the trigger for better double action leverage.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Alan if you cannot rack the slide on an semi-auto FORGETABOUTIT!!!! YOU just pick your self up a nice little snubnosed revolver in the .357 magnum caliber and start shooting those .38-spl +P ammo. Now that is what I did a few years ago when I got broke up somewhat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts