Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Here We Go! Looks Great! I just sent an order for the above bullets. The .357's are for my 6" S&W 686 and the 30's are to try in my new Ruger No1 Light Sporter in .30-06 Spring. I ordered the LMN due to the 06's having long leades set up for the 220 gr's. I plan on using my Foster and outside turn the necks thin on 50 rds of brass for the LMN's.
Since I dont have to crimp in this rifle, I think this is the best route. Any and all suggestion wellcome.
Best Regards from Old Town Hammock....James

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Say,

What velocities do you want to shoot those 170g LMNGC's to in your '06?  

My son burns up VOLUMES of '06 cast loads and we have reams of data!

My favorite load for the .357 with those .358"-185g FNGC's is 16.0g H110/WSPP/Win Brass.

Thanks for the order, and good to hear from you today!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Marshall,..Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't slugged the barrel on the Ruger 06, but from past experience with Ruer Barrels (run about .3085") I went with .310"..How does that fit in with your data? These 06's have a long leade and the 170 LMNGC just looked right. I should have ask you first, since it has been 25 years since I shot any cast out of the 30's. Please, if I should change on the 30's, by all means tell me. As for as velocity...maybe 2000 fps to 2200 fps for a play around load. I might also dust a turkey with it. Over the years I have own and shot maybe a dozen No1's and have a forearm bedding method if it strings vertical. I have been working on the barrel with Flitz. As long as I use a SOFT rest, 165 gr Ballistic Tip, 50 grs of IMR 4064, and above all, do my stuff...it shoots in with the bolt guns. I have found Ruger barrels to be OK but need breaking in more than some others. I think as one gets old, one reverts to the classic SS's. Anyway, it will be my "road" and tree stand gun. Whaddayathink?
Best Regards from Old Town Hammock....James

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Mr. Gates,

You mention wanting some 2000-2200 fps loads for the .30-170g LMNGC bullets in your '06.  As I've mentioned before, my son shoots VOLUMES of .30-06 cast loads.  We've had lots of testing and found some really economical, and effective recipes.

One of my favorites in the .30-06:

.310"-170g LMNGC/56.0g WC872/Fed 215/GI Brass/2150 fps.

The powder is military surplus available from Jeff Bartlett Reloaders for about &#3638.00 per 8# jug the last time I checked!  ( I bought mine for &#362.00 per pound about five years ago... and did I stock up!)  It is very slow burning, and requires quite a fire to get it burning.  

This load is very accurate (not exceptionally clean burning however), uniform and fun!

Loaded 40 rounds of this load for a friend of mine who was on a really tight budget at the time for hunting ammo.  He used those two boxes of ammo exclusively for four years killing whitetails out to 150 yards with annealled nose bullets.   Reported killing five white-tails when hunting with his family one Thanksgiving day weekend with this load.

Let me know how these work out for you!

God Bless, and Have a great New Year!

Marshall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts