Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am needing to find a new bullet to load for my Browning 300wsm. I have been shooting the old Barns 165grn fb X bullet and am now down to ten loaded rounds left. These things shot great but barns has changed there product line, again. I have had this happen with a few other of the guns I shot there bullets in. I would try the newer barns stuff, but if history is any indicator, they will probably chang stuff again soon. I would like to go with someone else. Need something that will hold up to a close shot on an elk, but I can reach out to 500yrd and still expand. Thanks, Skeater

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you don't like Partitions try Accubond 165 grn better B.C. than partition and good for heavier game. My 325 WSM likes the 200 grain accubond, great elk thumper.

·
Super Moderator
13,447 Posts
Also, if you call the bullet makers their tech's will happily tell you what the optimum expansion velocity ranges are for their different bullets and to make recommendations. Use that velocity range data with a ballistic program (the version of Bryan Litz's program that Berger has free to download on its web site is easy to use; the free calculators on the JBM site are available, too, but some are not as simple) and you'll quickly weed out what doesn't fit your profile. It just has to be within its maximum impact velocity at your shortest range and not below its lower limit at 500 yards. Once you have a handful of candidates, post again about other fellow's experiences with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Nick. I pulled all the makers websights and got an average hi and low for operating speeds for there bullets in the 165grn bullets for heavy game. I found that all of them have enough speed at 500 yard to work corectly as long as I start out above 2800 fps. The ones I need to get all of your oppinions on are: Nozler Etip, accubond, and partition; Hornady Interbond, Interlock, SST, and GMX; and the Berger VLD hunting 168. I would like to stay at the 165 grain weight bullets because the 180 grains factory load kick way more than I care shoot very much in a rifle that weighs just under 8lbs. The 165's start getting old after about 6 or 7 rounds out practicing on rockchucks. Oh, by the way, I am new to bloging and if I go totally stupid I need a little slack. Thanks, Skeater.

P.S. I really need input on the Berger's because I have not anything about there hunting bullets.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Thank you Nick. I pulled all the makers websights and got an average hi and low for operating speeds for there bullets in the 165grn bullets for heavy game. I found that all of them have enough speed at 500 yard to work corectly as long as I start out above 2800 fps. The ones I need to get all of your oppinions on are: Nozler Etip, accubond, and partition; Hornady Interbond, Interlock, SST, and GMX; and the Berger VLD hunting 168. I would like to stay at the 165 grain weight bullets because the 180 grains factory load kick way more than I care shoot very much in a rifle that weighs just under 8lbs. The 165's start getting old after about 6 or 7 rounds out practicing on rockchucks. Oh, by the way, I am new to bloging and if I go totally stupid I need a little slack. Thanks, Skeater.

P.S. I really need input on the Berger's because I have not anything about there hunting bullets.
If you want to stay with 165 grain bullets, and want good penetration on an up close shot on an elk, your going to need to stay with a monolythic bullet, especially at over 3000 FPS. My cousin has had good luck with the GMX 180 grain bullets out of his '06, i think you would be best off just buying the newer barnes bullets though, they made changes for the better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the old ones were just fine untell I ran out. The problem have with banres is they keep changing there bullet linup. I have had it happen to me three time with my 22-250, and once befor with my 300 and the barmes coated X. About the time I get a load worked up they quit making it. It isn't a product issue its a company issue. I am tired of getting a load worked up then having barnes stop making it. Thanks for the imput on the gmx.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,724 Posts
All I've used in .30 cal / 165gr. is the Partition, in a .30-06. They have been an accurate bullet and have never recovered one from a deer, hog, or varmit.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have have had great results with the Nosler E-Tip and Remington Corelock Ultrabond in 150 gr weight I would Imagine they would work well,The Ultrabond and E-Tip are both made in 168 gr weight

·
Registered
107 Posts
180 grain accubond and don't look back. Took an elk at 461 yards last year with my .300wsm and this bullet. The bullet passed completely through the elk's chest with no problem leaving massive damage. The accubond was also used by my uncle in his .270. He used a 140 grain version and shot an elk at about 25 yards. The bullet expanded properly without detonating as could be seen by the massive wound channel. Again the bullet passed completely through.

For your .300wsm try working up a load with 7827ssc. It seems to fill the case well and get great velocity/energy. Accuracy out of all my .300wsm's are incredible. I think it's just a naturally accurate round. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I thought the old ones were just fine untell I ran out. The problem have with banres is they keep changing there bullet linup. I have had it happen to me three time with my 22-250, and once befor with my 300 and the barmes coated X. About the time I get a load worked up they quit making it. It isn't a product issue its a company issue. I am tired of getting a load worked up then having barnes stop making it. Thanks for the imput on the gmx.

I'm not going to defend Barnes but they have dropped some bullets and with the new tipped bullets not sure what going to happen the the TSX. I hope they just expand the existing line of bullets and with Remington now owning Barnes wonder how long the Brooks will stick around.

I've shot the 165/168gr TSX in my 300WSM it likes both those bullets haven't tried the Tip bullet yet. I shot the 168gr E-Tip my rifle like the 165 Accubond better along with the 165 Speer BTSP.

I've been reloading over 45yrs now and one thing I've learned is have a back up load just never know when something is going to get dropped or changed. My back up bullet for my 300WSM is that Speer bullet plus good practice bullet and cost less than the TSX.

I just had another 300WSM build and this is the bullets I've been shooting 165gr Accubond,168gr E-Tip, 165gr Rem,165gr TSX/168gr TSX and 165gr Speer BTSP and going to try 150gr E-Tip.

I've been shooting R-17 in both 300WSM also in a 270WSM,284 and 280AI I think it's a good powder for the WSM.
Well good luck

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Heck, when a bullet or powder is dropped, it seems like 3 or 4 more pop up, to take its place. As much as I like certain pet loads, it's also fun working up new options. The 300WSM has only been around for 10 years, so you can't have had too many changes, already. :)

I've changed the primary load for my 270Win four times, going from Federal factory ammo, to a Sierra, then a BT, and finally an Accubond. I guess I don't mind because I like the challenge of finding very good accuracy with new components. Also, if the Accubond shoots well from your 300WSM, that's one option I think will be around for a while; I think Nosler hit a home run with that line of bullets.

·
Super Moderator
13,447 Posts
Note that the GMX bullets suggested by BarkBuster's cousin are a relatively new Hornady product. Perhaps Hornady will offer better product longevity than Barnes has done. Hard to imagine anything better than a monolithic bullet for holding together up close.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will start out with the partition. My uncle has a box of them I come to find out. Broom_jm, I know when the 300wsm came out. I have one of the first 5 that made it into the magic valley area hear in Idaho. When I first got it, I just loaded some of the coated x bullets on top of some RL15 and went to shooting. Didn't bother to try to anything differnt then because it shot sub inch 5 shot groops. When barnes quit making it I went out, spent 500 bucks in bullets and powder to try ten different bullets to find out what it really liked. Five months later, I wound up with the barnes and a sierra 165 bthp game king shooting holes inside of each other from out of a vise. Two different bullets same powder, same amount, five shots of each under a dime, Could mix and match them and you couldn't tell at 100 yards. Figured the Sierra was cheaper and easier to load, would stay with that. Wound up taking a 125 yard broad side shot at a cow elk. Three shots later I put one of the left over barnes in and nocked her flat at 250 after she stoped. I found all three of the sierra lodged in the ribs after going though the front shoulder. Never found the X, but I did find a quater size hole out the far side. Neadless to say I will not shot another sierra at an elk. I bought 5 boxes of the barnes and never looked back. Gave out the other bullets to others for them to try, and worst of all, I threw out all of the old targets and load data on the other bullets. Live and learn. Opened my last box of the X's in '08 and thought time to get more. That was a little late.

Old Roper, when did remington buy Barnes? I hate to hear that. Remington isn't the company it used to be. They are part of a big conglomerit now, or however you say it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Last year Speer came out with a new bullet called Deep Curl. I bought a box of 180 gr to try them out. I thought they were extremely accurate at long distances 400+ yds. I can't say anything about terminal performance though as I never got a shot off at elk last season :(
In the past I've used 180 gr Nosler Partitions and CT Ballistic Tips with good luck. Another good bullet for me has been the Nosler E-Tip. These were all fired from my Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WSM.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Loaded the 30 cal. 150 gr. Accubond couple of deer ago. Great bullet. In my humble opinion, the accubond is a "hybrid" between the Ballistic Tip & Partition. I say this because all R&D I did with bullet recovery at different velocities & distances indicated a consistency with Noslers claims. Upon impact the front portion of the bullet explodes ,( a more accurate description than expand's) just like a Ballistic Tip. However the shank base part remains intact...every time, at all practical impact velocities out of my Savage m-10 fp .308 win. The Accubond jacket is some 95% copper and 5% zinc, which somehow lets the core remain part of it?? They are very accurate as well as easy to work up loads for.
As good as that bullet is, the E-Tip has it beat. It shares the same guilding metal jacket mix as the Accubond, and is potentitally as accurate. This bullet is lead free, so its longer than a bullet of the same wt. You have to be careful finding the right seating depth. The bullet looses practically nothing upon expansion.
I worked up a load using the 180 gr. E-Tip in my model 70 300 win. mag. that ROCKS! That load is my "go to" for Elk, and I can't wait to shoot something bigger than a coyote with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts