Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
185 Posts
You can also use a piece of cardboard or wood board with some dust off the window sill. Card board has some silica clay in it, and helps to strop the edge, after the coffee cup. This works well, when touching up a low angle skinning knife, without too much work. Greg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Use the worn edged at the bottom of the cup or the same with a plate ! I have used rocks out in the woods and the top of my boots afterwards ! JAGG

·
Banned
115 Posts
Find the nearest vehicle, roll down the window and use the top of the glass like a stone. Very effective at taking nicks out or restraightening an edge thats rolled from use as well.

Smoothed rock in a stream bed, the flatter the better.

Brownie

·
Banned
4 Posts
Yup the cardboard box or a rolled up news paper,run the sharpened knife back and forth over oneof these,it'll shave the hairs off the arm-big time-like a razer ! ;)
greg5278 said:
You can also use a piece of cardboard or wood board with some dust off the window sill. Card board has some silica clay in it, and helps to strop the edge, after the coffee cup. This works well, when touching up a low angle skinning knife, without too much work. Greg

·
Registered
189 Posts
I remember my dear departed grandmother cooking and baking with a wood burning stove. She used those large stoneware bowls to mix bread dough in; they were also used to sharpen knives on their rims. As I recall, she kept all her knives very sharp. Emery

·
Registered
208 Posts
Usually in the field when hunting, you haven't got a stoneware mug or a car window (at least not the car window :D ) for sharpening the knife. You have better to find a nice flat stone on the ground, which you can use instead of a whetstone. Any stone, whick is not too coarse will do,

However, it's a good piece of advice to bring a little whetstone in the pocket or in the backpack.

Regards,

Old Shatterhand

1 - 7 of 7 Posts