Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a new rifle for deer season this year and need your help to help me decide which brand to buy. I would really appreciate your opinions on which brand to go with since there are so many well made rifles these days. Whatever I buy I plan on keeping for a long time, so I want to make the right choice. I have been to many gun shops and handled many rifles and they all feel good, I just want one that will be the most accurate out of the box with factory ammo. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Savage is a tackdriver out of the box, but I would still recomend Ruger for the ruggedness, reliability, and good looks, over the savage any day of the week.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Ruger Hawkeye - hands down! :D

·
Banned
107 Posts
There are certainly a lot of good choices out there for nice biggame rifles. The Ruger's are certainly good ones to look at. Also I would still consider the new Winchester Model 70's, the Remington 700 and the Tikka. All are very good selections. Have fun.:)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've been impressed with the Ruger rifles as well, and all the talk around here makes me want one just that much more.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
It's pretty hard to top the "out-of-the-box" accuracy of a Remington Model 700. Then again, so many rifles these days are scary accurate right from the factory, it's really more a question of what you prefer in terms of action, aesthetics and price. You can't go wrong with any of the choices shown above and there are probably a dozen other options available, too. Go with what suits ya, but be SURE to tell us all what you got...with pictures! :)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
No doubt Remingtons are accurate, and can be made extremely accurate, but I really think that with all modern guns, you are going to get an acceptably accurate gun. I don't own a bolt action rifle that shoots a group larger than an inch.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
You didn't say what action type, I've killed stuff from crows to coyotes to turkeys to deer to feral hogs with a .35 Rem. Works great!

Get a Marlin 336..... :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've got a couple Rugers and a Browning, and the Browning is more accurate hands down. But the Rugers are a few years old and don't have the adjustable trigger. The improvements in factory triggers over the last few years has raised the level on all guns.

I'd say if you like the feel of a rifle, it's going to be acceptable.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
As the rifle itself is only part of the accuracy equation (albeit a big part) I too will suggest a Ruger bolt gun. You'll save 50-$75 not having to buy quality rings and bases, as they are already supplied and are of excellent quality. Use that added cash to put a good quality scope on top and you'll be 3/4ths of the way there!:D

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've heard several different men say that Ruger makes a tough rifle. I like that. I've also heard the same people say they even have the ability to shoot around a corner, I don't like that. The accuracy king is Savage. In the last decade they have also made the rifles look as good as anything, that is what i'd recommend, nothing else. I hope you find something you like.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Lot's of good ones out there. Savage, Rem, Browning, Ruger, CZ, the new Marlin and T/C bolt guns, a lot of great Model 70s are available out there too (still the best trigger ever). But you might also look at a Howa 1500 with a Houge stock. They are sweet guns for the money. My old 1500 in .30-06 was the second most accurate bolt gun I ever owned. I never should have parted with it. I love the new Hogue stocks. Just got one in .308. Still trying to decide what glass to put on it. But they are almost always good shooters once broken in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts