Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put a rifle scope on a specialty handgun (6.5-284). I am looking for a quality variable, somewhere in the 6x24 magnification range. What would you suggest and with your suggestion what is the eye-relief at it's highest power (or at 24 power if it goes higher than that)?
The XP will have an 18 heavy barrel with a H-S Precision center-grip varmint profile stock. Unsure whether it will have a brake or not. At this time the plans are to not brake it.
I know that I will get my sight picture, then have to pull back before I shoot. I don't want a scope permanently sticking out my left eye socket.
Thanks
xphunter

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure what your gun looks like, but Leupold has about 4" eye relief which may help if you insist on a riflescope.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nathan,
From all the info I have recieved I believe that Leupold has the longest eye-relief of any rifle scope. The only reason I am considering a rifle scope is the higher magnification when shooting at long distances 600-1,000 yards.
xphunter:)

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
xp,
I'm sure there's a lot of folks that have their favorites out there, but I'm a definitely a Leupold fan. I just don't think you can find a better scope, all the way around, than Leupold.

This was really driven home to me about 10 years ago when I bought a Swarovski Habicht 2,2-9 and a Zeiss. While both of those were really good, they were much heavier, longer, bulkier and I didn't really care for the European crosshairs. The comparative Leupold, my eldest 2.5-8 Vari-X III is just as clear, provides as much if not more eye relief, and even though it has a 1" tube compared to 30mm of the European scopes was just as bright for all practical purposes. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Swarovski, Zeiss, Kahles or any of the others, because there's not, they are great optics. But, my personal preference and for the reasons I was looking for a scope, the Leupold just works better for me.

I've since sold both the Swarovski and the Zeiss. Now, every single rifle that wears a scope has a Leupold on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts