Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what peoples experience is with NEI? I have their new booklet and they have some really good looking new molds out for the 475 and the 500.
I have been looking for a 475 mold and this one looks good. But, I have never used one of their molds or talked to anyone who has.
Some in-sight would help:confused:

Thanks for the replies in advance,
Will

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I highly recommend NEI molds I have five and am waiting rather impatiently for a sixth!

The molds cast well and the bullets are as round as anyone elses. I like the thick sprueplates. I use my gloved hand to work the sprue plate, never a stick.

I have several paper patch bullet molds from NEI and I have had very good results with many different rifles. Most of my molds are two different cuts, that is two different bullets in the same block. This gives me more bullet varieties for the dollar.

As with anything Custom made, it takes time! I'm glad I ordered early!

I have the Lyman .457122HP Gould bullet from Lyman, I have the NEI solid nose gas check version coming from NEI. Should provide an interesting comparison with solid and drilled noses. NEI offers drilling jigs for their molds and if you are a hunter this is a good thing to have.
The other cavity in this mold will be a 400 gr .45 cal paper patch bullet.

I also have several .32 caliber NEI molds that I am very fond of.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have three NEI moulds and they are very good.

I don't have anything to say negative about them. Ditto on the hefty sprue plate. I never hit them with a hammer either.

·
Banned
548 Posts
how long does it usually take to get a mold ,once it has been ordered.

bigfoot, would you know if the .458, 440fngc works in a bolt action. or do you think the meplat is too wide.i have a very comparable looking ballisticast sample that will not climb the feed ramp.
thanks halfbreed

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Half breed;

The 440 gr FNGC NEI will not feed in my 458 Win Model 70 from the magazine. I have other moulds to use so I'm not real disappointed.

The people at NEI are very nice and can give you an idea of the current delivery time when you order. They recut a Lyman pistol mould for me at a very low price (4 cavity for $35.00) and returned it within a week.

The moulds that I have ordered from them took about a month if memory serves. They are good quality and cast well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bigfoot,

What do you mean by re-cutting a Lyman mold? Did they modify it or cut a completely new bullet in it?

Thanks to everyone for the responses!!!!

Will

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Will;

They re cut it to a different bullet size and style. It was a Lyman 4 cavity 148 gr wadcutter in 38 special. They recut it to 45 Colt 360 gr Gould ( a long RNGC ). The work was excellent.

Don
In His service.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I ordered a "Westerman Special" mould from Ballisti-cast about a month ago. I called today and checked on it and should be shipped soon. These are Hammerhead FNGC bullets for 45 cal rifle. The lighter is 440 gr ( I think ) and the heavy is 540 grains. They may funtion thru the magazine on my Model 70.

Bigfoot

·
Banned
548 Posts
bigfoot, have you received the westerman special yet, i received 4 sample bullets of this mold. whatever i tried to do to make it feed through my cz failed. it just would not climb the feed ramp 100% of the time.

hope you have much better results. you had already ordered your mold before i saw that you ordered it.

halfbreed

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks for the information. The westerman moulds ( I ended up ordering both ) will be used with the 458 or 45/70. Hopefully they will feed well.

I think they are designed for a lever action, Garrett Cartridges advertises them. Maybe I'll be forced to buy another rifle or two, you can't have unused moulds setting around.

Bigfoot

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just my two cents,but I think they are the best moulds going for the money,the one i use the most is my 715 grain 45 cal. Been using it now for around three years and no problem.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
715 gr .45 caliber? Blackpowder? something more interesting?

I want to order one just to find something to use it for.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bigfoot got the idea from an article in the black powder hunting mag,its a gas checked 460 weatherby mould thats suppoed to throw a bullet of around 600 and some odd grains but with wheel weights out of mine it comes in at 715 grains.It really lets you know when you hit some thing with it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the great responses!!!
I knew this was the place to get my ? answered.....
When I get a little extra $$$ I think I will be getting in touch with NEI.

Will

1 - 14 of 14 Posts