Shooters Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,269 Posts
JW,

If you're shooting a bunch of different bullets, one of the "micrometer seating dies" might be the thing for you. Just a thought.

·
Registered
850 Posts
THAT new wildcat is going to suffer hard extraction!

I've never used the set screw on the locking ring. I keep them loose on the die and re-set each time.
The Bench Fairies hate when you do that ... they can't mess with your settings !
I do the same thing .
Gary

·
Registered
562 Posts
. . I have a dummy round for every cartridge loaded with ever bullet in the box with the dies. . That's just life made easy .. I load five different bullets in one of my leverguns.. so I have a dummy for each

·
Super Moderator
13,674 Posts
The other approach to multiple sizing lengths is one sizing die plus the Redding competition shell holders. Keep the shell holder with the right deck height for each rifle chamber identified. Set the sizing die to contact the correct holder each time, as normal for die setup. The shell holder sets are not less expensive than three Lee sizing dies fitted with Forster cross-bolt lock rings, but having the die make solid contact with a shell holder produces slightly better head-to-shoulder length consistency, IME, and may be used with as many calibers as share the common case head size. In this scenario, the Lee-style lock rings start to make sense rather than the set screw type.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
do the bench fairy's do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As Jack and Darkker...I have rarely locked the rings on my dies. I have in the past though when I loaded some specialty cartridges in the 10's of thousands back in the 80's and 90's. Since I moved away from that and only load for myself (or SIL), I never saw the need when loading 20-100 rounds at a time. I did not mean to start a "you have to do it this way" thread, but that is what it has evolved into. My apologies!

My innocent purpose was to hopefully remind my fellow reloader's to double (maybe even triple) checking their die settings prior to a loading session.

I probably have 500K+ in metallic cartridge reloading under my belt and 750K+ in Shotgun. Just because I've loaded a bunch does not make me an expert above another person, but I might be able to help someone out if they ever wanted to load 50K 30-06 or 30-30 rounds. I load the way I do because it works (or doesn't) for me.

I would never tell someone that you have to do it my way or you are doing it wrong as some have in this thread.

Okay...thread can now be locked!

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Seriously? Why would you alter the die setting just to fit it in the die box? Once a die gets set where you want it, never change it. I've never had any trouble fitting them in the box either, though not always the way most do. Of course, I've never been one to let a die set outsmart me either.
This may have been addressed already, but I'm pretty sure I have adjusted the nuts just to fit the dies in the boxes, and I never have assumed they'd be set up out of the box. Of course, I load several loads in various calibers - just because it's fun. I honestly don't understand why one would think dies are already set when pulled out of the box. I do have a couple of LEE Turrets that I've thought of setting up, but haven't yet. That would be the only instance (purposely set up) that I would even consider this.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well since I was loading some 308's this morning. It reminded me to back off the seating stem and start again.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I have no idea what the poster means here, but I am sorry that I (apparently) got under his thin hide…

Sometimes my sarcasm gets to be more than I can control. He's basically saying you and I are cut from the same cloth. But, I have to say that some things are so rookie a mistake that its hard to avoid the sarcasm. As others have said use of a dummy cartridge is a good way to make sure you set the die correctly every time. In my case, I don't fool with using multiple bullets. Every cartridge has an optimum load that never changes. Makes life easy, and avoids such mistakes.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Amazing! Guy's fussing over 10 thousands of an inch in sizing and especially bullet seating and think the can adjust the sizing die back to exactly where it was last time you used it. using my lock ring to set in the size is just something I dreamed up when I got my second 243. I'd never had two rifles in the same cartridge before and simply cannot see any reason for each having their own set of dies locked into place. For me it's not a matter of lazy but rather a matter of every time I use the die it is set to the same spot it was last time I used it. Nobody and I mean nobody use's my reloading equipment without me there, the bench fairy doesn't do well here!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Amazing! Guy's fussing over 10 thousands of an inch in sizing and especially bullet seating and think the can adjust the sizing die back to exactly where it was last time you used it. using my lock ring to set in the size is just something I dreamed up when I got my second 243. I'd never had two rifles in the same cartridge before and simply cannot see any reason for each having their own set of dies locked into place. For me it's not a matter of lazy but rather a matter of every time I use the die it is set to the same spot it was last time I used it. Nobody and I mean nobody use's my reloading equipment without me there, the bench fairy doesn't do well here!

Not sure who your comment is directed at, but I can absolutely reset my RCBC or Lee seating die back where I want it within a few minutes. I know what a 1/8, 1/4 or a 1/2 turn on the seating stem will do. And honestly...a few thousands when seating makes no real difference to me anyway. My first bullet if seated a little low might be used as a fouling shot! The Hornady dies are/were a new "cog in the wheel" so to speak. I have already replaced the sizing die in 204, but I do like some of the features of the seating die...but will just be more careful in the future. I too like to find a bullet/powder/primer combination that I love. I don't hunt any bigger game anymore...but have some smaller critters along with flying ones that I like to shoot at.

I like taking pictures...and have been known to take down some tree rats that come to close.

·
Super Moderator
13,674 Posts
I put these up years ago:

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I put these up years ago: View attachment 102173
I don't follow these threads well enough and end up wondering: What the Hades is he talking about? I went ahead and clicked on the attachment, and there's a picture of a scaled circle that I assume is what you're talking about. I'll try and remember to go back and read the thread (hopefully just the o.p.) and figure it out.
I do appreciate the effort you all put into trying to help out (unclenick, in this case). Lots of knowledge on this site.
BTW, the edited word doesn't start with 'f', but with 'h' and ends in two 'l's - has an 'e' in between. I didn't realize that was offensive these days.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,269 Posts
I didn't make the list of banned words, merely inherited it. Let's test a replacement for H3LL:

Hades

that work for ya? ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I didn't make the list of banned words, merely inherited it. Let's test a replacement for H3LL:

Hades

that work for ya? ;)
Figured out you were referring to my post. Why the Hades didn't you quote it? :D
Thank you. I'll try to remember.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts