Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever notice how you can think something a gun is shooting extremely well, a motor running extremely well or things going good in general and not long after you get that thought, things break.

For about a month now I've been fine tuning my 22-250. I finally got it where it's consistantly shooting 1" - 1 1/4" groups at 400 yards. Last saturday me and another guy were shooting and he was bragging on his 223. He would bust a clay target stuck in the 400 yard berm, some times having to shoot two or three times at one, and I was shooting the larger pieces left from the ones he shot. I never missed a shot, no matter what I shot at. Things felt great, the rifle was shooting great and I thought this rifle just flat could not make a bad shot. At the end of the day I only had a couple of bullets left, there was a clean target set up at 50 yards so I figure I would shoot it and get the 50 yard dope on the scope since I had never shot that close. I adjusted the elevation for what I thought would be right, made the shot and elevation was good but hit about an inch right. Kinda puzzled, I dialed in my hundred yard zero and shot the last bullet, it hit two inches right and an inch high.

Well, this week I went though checking everything on the rifle and scope out but found nothing wrong. Went back to the range saturday morning and the scope would not zero. If you moved it, no telling where it would hit. I would shoot a one hole group at 100 yds, just not where the cross hairs said it was suppose to. Twenty rounds later and the thing never would come close to hitting where it was suppose to. Hit one left, adjust it one inch right and it might hit four inches right and three inches high. However, at home, on the bench the thing will repeat itself everytime you mover it. Move it all over the place and it will come back to the same spot every time. It's got me scratching my head, big time. Everything is marked with nail polish so I know the scope is not moving.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
No good thing goes unpunished............ :p

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Never wanna brag on kids or dogs, they will let ya down everytime. Guess guns would fit in there too somewhere.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Had that happen to me a few years ago with a brand new Burris scope that I bought for my 30.06. Made me so angry that this scope was doing that I bought a new Khales to put on it. Funny thing was when I put that scope on it, it did the same thing. Found out I had a bulged barrel 3" from the crown of the barrel that was causing the problem.

Funny how everything works out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts