Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week or so ago I called my LGS to see if they might be able to order me one of the new 1895 Trappers. They said that they'd already gotten one and it had sold immediately. They agreed to order one for me and I got the message on Friday that it was in.

So, I picked it up yesterday and it now lives here. I'd read a lot of reviews and seen several videos of the new SBL and Trapper and they all were thumbs up on it with most saying it clearly outshined the pre Ruger versions.

I'm waiting for a scope base to arrive today and sadly the nice Skinner peep sight will be pulled off. But any medium or big bore at my house that gets hunted for hogs or black bear has a nice scope with illuminated reticle atop it.

I've got a reasonable amount of 45-70 hanging around; enough to compare some different loads. Most likely it will be a Grizzly ammo load of a 300gr bonded JHP rated at 2400 FPS, that I'll use this coming seasons. In the abbreviated barrel (16.1") I'm figuring it will still have 2200 MV. So a decent load for my needs for now.

Here it is

Satellite Wood Machine Fashion accessory Electric blue
Sleeve Collar Jewellery Fur Bag

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's a mighty fine looking rifle gun Tnhunter. I agree with MikeG, you also might wanna have a jug of corn squeezins and an ice pack close by after shooting that cannon. ;)
Thanks. My two .450s had noticeably more recoil I kept the lighter of the two, the BLR and it's lighter than this Trapper. I may get surprised, but I'll have the scope as far forward as feasible....lol.

·
Registered
694 Posts
That's fantastic that you were able to order one in and have it arrive so quick! Very nice! I love the look of that Trapper 🍻

As to the recoil, according to factory specs on both, the new 1895 Trapper is actually a teensy bit heavier than a Henry brass side-stuffer...like less than 1oz. I've found that my Henry is quite lively indeed with full house handloads loaded to max book spec for Marlins, but far from intolerable.

Congrats on the new rifle, I'm sure it will serve you well Sir 🙂

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nice rifle. Wouldn't be my choice of ammo though since I'm a wussy anymore. Something in the 1300 to 1500 fps is about all I could handle anymore. And that would still require Tiger balm, Ice pack, and bed rest.
Nice short handy package though. (y)

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments fellas. My Henry is the last 45-70 I've fired and it still is bearable with Hornady 325gr ammo. Not sure if the muzzle blast will increase all that much from 2" less barrel, but I'll find out on my next trip to the range. If it is abusive, I have a 300gr rated @ 2100 and a box or two of standard 300gr which is rated under 1900.

For anyone not totally familiar with the subtle differences between the SBL and Trapper, the SBL has a polished SS finish and the Trapper is satin finished SS. The SBL holds one more round in it's tube; 6 v 5. And the Trapper has the popular Skinner peep system, while the SBL has a long rail for all types of scopes with a peep mounted on it. The wood finishes are also a bit different with the Trapper getting a darker stained laminate stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. Their reviews have been outstanding. Ruger has always made good, solid firearms. I've been looking to buy the Marlin 1895 SBL version here in Ohio since Marlin/Ruger started producing it again. I have not found a gun store that will even order one for me here.; must have checked out 15-20 stores. I need to move to Tennessee!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just picked up one this last Friday and like you I have not had a chance to get to the gun range. I normally prefer the more traditional look for my lever rifles and generally prefer the Winchesters, but when they showed this to me at my LGS I thought I just might need one so it followed me home. The action is truly smooth. I think I might like the SBL just a tiny bit better but this was a few hundred under retail and all the SBL's I have seen are over retail. I know they are basically the same rifle except three inches difference in barrel and mag tube length, and one pound difference in weight.

Grey Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Tints and shades

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Those are mighty nice-looking rifles that tn and Shiloh shared. Interested at how y'all rate the workmanship overall. I know there has been a lot of speculation regarding how the new ones were going to compare with others.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Interested at how y'all rate the workmanship overall.
The overall fit and finish on mine is quite good. The metal finish on the Trapper has a bead blasted satin look and is not the polished stainless steel. I think I would prefer polished sides on the receiver and the satin finish on the top of the receiver and barrel. The furniture is stained laminated wood with nice checkering on the grip and forearm area. The butt stock is fitted with a fairly decent recoil pad that I believe will be very much appreciated due to the rifles shortness and 7 pound weight. The trigger breaks very clean with zero creep. I don't have a trigger scale so I cannot tell you the weight but if guessing I would say somewhere in the 5-4 lb. range. Again, guessing. I am not a big fan of the big loop lever but it was not a deal breaker for me. I might change it to a more standard one when parts become available.

My Winchester 1886 deluxe short rifle weighs a little over 9 pounds empty and my Browning 1886 SR carbine weighs a little over 8 pounds empty so at 7 pounds the trapper is the lightest 45-70 lever rifle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Hawke Endeavor 1-4 I had on my Henry seemed a bit big for this shorter Trapper, so I decided to put a nice Sig Sauer Whiskey 5 in 1-5 with Hellfire reticle on top. The Hawke 1-4 will end up on top of my BLR .358.
The Sig has a grey finish and looks right nice on top of the SS Trapper, I think

Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Gun accessory Gun barrel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts