Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there it was in the back of the used rack at the local shop, an FN '98 in 30-06. This is the commercial model, sans the military accouterments. It has a checkered Walnut stock with cheekpiece and honeycomb recoil pad with wear that places it at about 80%, a standard Buehler safety, Redfield mounts, & 4X32 Redfield scope with fine crosshairs, missing 1 sling mount. And the nice part - $325 :D. I can't build one for that; I know cuz I'm building a Turk '98 in .35 Whelen, and I've got that much in it now with a long way to go.

Thoughts?

N-2-L

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,717 Posts
I'll give you two turks for that :p :p :p

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Price is good, but check out the bolt face for pitting/enlarged firing pin hole and the bore/throat for excessive wear or corrosion.

It they check out OK, you've got a good buy.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Also picked up one of those FN 30-06 some years back in a pawn shop pretty inexpensively. It shoots well and has been pretty reliable. Odds are yours will also. Nice find. Enjoy!:)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
A friend owns over a dozen "store-brand" sporters, vintage 1950s-'60s, mostly built on FN 98 actions, and built by firms like FN and Heym. They are all solid rifles of excellent quality, and as he has collected them over the past 20 or so years I doubt he has spent over $300 on any of them. They are great, and largely unrecognized, bargains.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how about a few pics?
A friend of mine who is into Mausers is checking it over for me, and when I pick it up I'll take some photos and send them along soon.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i used on of those very rifles to build my 338/06AI... wonderful action!! quality is indeed top notch, i bet you will enjoy the 'ol girl!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts