Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new 30-30 barrel for my Encore today. I'll see how she shoots this week end if the wind cooperates. I already have some ammo made up. 170gr Sierra flat points.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Red_eagle,

Looking forward to seeing your reports on the new barrel, but I can't help but wonder: Why in the heck did you go with a FP bullet, out of an Encore barrel?? One of the real benefits to loading your own 30/30 rounds from a Contender, Encore, or any other single-shot, is you can choose a pointed bullet for better long-range performance. :cool:

Anyway, be sure to let us know what she does, at the range.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Same Here

When I read your post I immediately thought the same thing as broom_jm stated.

Check out any of the .308 cal pointy bullets and don't be affraid to go heavier than the "normal" 30-30 loadings. My wifes .30-30AI absolutely loves the 190gr SMK's and even shoots the 210 Bergers reasonably well.

Also....seat them bullets(any bullet)waaaaaay out,just off the lands,for better accuracy. Let us know how she goes. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Flat points were already made. It was a load for my 336 I never got to test fire. I'm just using them for barrel break in and to recover my brass.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
How did your range trip go? I bet the flat-points were pretty accurate even if they aren't quite as good for longer range work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts