Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've actually owned this rifle for over 4yrs, but recently decided to rebore the .308 to .358. The rifle is one of the newer M70 Super Grades and having realized that I had an abundance of .308s and I really wanted to have a quality .358 bolt gun to go with my steel receiver BLR/.358, so off it went to Oregon. I dismounted the barreled action from the high grade walnut stock and sent it off to JES for the rebore (3 groove, 1:12). I got it back a week or so ago and immediately put the barreled action back into the nice stock. I also added a different scope, a 2-7x33 30mm Leupold VX-R with Firedot figuring to use it for black bear on an upcoming Sep hunt in Maine.

I haven't shot it yet, since we've had rain most every day since I've gotten it back. But I'm hoping to get to the range with some dryer weather coming next week. I have several different loads to try from 180 to 250gr, but I'm pretty set on using a 225gr Sierra load at about 2500 FPS. My BLR loves that load and I hope the Winchester will too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts
That's a great conversion and a beautiful rifle to inflict it on.
One of many that I let get away was a Ruger 77RS .358 Win with a factory 20" barrel. <I should be slapped!>

·
Banned
237 Posts
Seems those BLRs in 358 shoot about anything you feed them. That has been my personal experience. Hope you like your new build.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Sounds great. Last two Maine black bears I got with an 8x57 pretty similar to the 358, using a 196 Norma Vulkan bullet.

Enjoy the working up loads and the Maine hunt.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,960 Posts
Why 1:12 and only three groove? Any reason in particular? My M99 is 6 groove, 1:16 for comparison as is my Whelen.

RJ

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why 1:12 and only three groove? Any reason in particular? My M99 is 6 groove, 1:16 for comparison as is my Whelen.

RJ
Jesse is pretty easy to talk to and ask questions of. So, after reading about the excellent results someone else had just had with a Win M70EW in .308 to .358, I went with the same combination as he had with JES, the 3 groove, 1:12". Jesse said it would work very well with bullets from 180 to 225gr. I'm not looking for anything over 225gr, as I also have a Whelen, 350 RM (next to the M70/.358), two 9.3x62s and a 9.3x74R if I think I need heavier. I believe that my BLR is also a 1:12".

Reactions: Bandito and lowball

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,960 Posts
Ah, gotcha, just curious.

RJ

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I'm not looking for anything over 225gr, as I also have a Whelen, 35RM (next to the M70/.358) and two 9.3x62s and a 9.3x74R if I think I need heavier. I believe that my BLR is also a 1:12".
It does appear that you have covered all of the bases :)

Really nice pair.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: Kevinbear

·
Registered
692 Posts
Very nice. Been wanting a .358 for a while now. Next on my list.
Missed one in a Savage 99 a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a 358 built on a M700 action. It has a heavy 24 inch barrel and shoots the short bullet very well. I don't need bullets heavier than 180 at any time so it's fun to shoot and as accurate as I could ask.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Two beautiful rifles you have there, Tnhunter, heavy hitters and scoped for fast action.

I think perhaps the Super Grade .308 may have started out with a 22 inch barrel, and from the side by side perspective in your picture, it appears as if the Rem 673 in .350 might also be 22 inch, or is that an optical illusion?

The model 70 stock has beautiful feathering and color. If I was hunting bear in thick cover, I would be neurotic about about scratching the beautiful wood. I can see you have overcome any neurosis, and fully enjoy the experience of hunting with a serious rifle that is also a work of art.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two beautiful rifles you have there, Tnhunter, heavy hitters and scoped for fast action.

I think perhaps the Super Grade .308 may have started out with a 22 inch barrel, and from the side by side perspective in your picture, it appears as if the Rem 673 in .350 might also be 22 inch, or is that an optical illusion?

The model 70 stock has beautiful feathering and color. If I was hunting bear in thick cover, I would be neurotic about about scratching the beautiful wood. I can see you have overcome any neurosis, and fully enjoy the experience of hunting with a serious rifle that is also a work of art.
Thank you. Yes the 673 is the same, a short action with 22" barrel. I searched for weeks online to find that particular Super Grade. Nice wood is important to me on certain rifles.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
194 Posts

RJ
To add some to Tnhunter's reply, the 3-groove barrel is standard for all of JES' rebores, it is what you get for the $250 baseline fee. Jesse offers 4 and 5 groove rifling as well for $25 extra. Before sending my two rifles to him I did a fair bit of research with his prior customers and based on their inputs decided to go with the standard 3-groove.

I am not certain of this but I think maybe Jesse's equipment is set up to do a particular twist for each of the bores he offers. Either that, or just leaving them set up for a particular bore/twist combo saves time and lets him keep his prices so reasonable. If so, the 1:12 gives the greatest flexibility in the 35 Whelen, allowing one to go up to 275 or 300 grain bullets. From what I have heard, most custom Whelen builds go with either 14" or 12" twist (mine's a 14"). The 225 TSX is the heaviest .358 bullet Barnes makes because any heavier mono bullet won't consistently stabilize in the 16" twist that was used in the Remington barrels.
I don't think too many folks shoot >250 grains in their .358 Win, and most shoot less. so a slower twist would certainly work fine but I don't think the 1:12 does any harm.

Looking forward to hearing how your "new" rifle shoots! I'm starting to work up for my M99 .358 after a decade plus hiatus, and if successful may use it for my elk hunt this fall.

Cheers,
Rex

EDIT - And Recoil Junky, I forgot to add - it's really interesting that your M99 is a 16" twist. Mine is right about 12.5:1 - I just carefully measured it last week. Interesting. My .358 barrel is marked "Series A" and is not original to the M99E I have it installed on. I got the barrel as "new old stock" and had Frank Wells of Tucson install it on the 99E (formerly a .308) in 2007.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
The M673 on the right is a .350RM.
I was sorta surprised that the 673/.350 RM didn't do a bit better. It's not a super seller, historically, but the .350 RM with a 225gr Sierra is prime elk medicine in a very handy package. Really just a short fat Whelen.

But, somehow, the .358 caliber rounds just bite too hard for the average shooter, maybe ?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was sorta surprised that the 673/.350 RM didn't do a bit better. It's not a super seller, historically, but the .350 RM with a 225gr Sierra is prime elk medicine in a very handy package. Really just a short fat Whelen.

But, somehow, the .358 caliber rounds just bite too hard for the average shooter, maybe ?
I just recently put my 673/350 up for sale, actually. It's a very comfortable rifle to shoot in .350 with the 22" barrel and decent weight, I'm sure it's a LOT more tame than the original 18.5"/600 or 20"/660 in .350 were. It's not inexpensive to feed if you shoot factory ammo, but I've got a reasonable amount and had no worries there. I think it was just me finding a 20" .338RCM that sealed it's fate with me...lol.

I've never found the .358 to be bothersome at the range, and I'm shooting warmish loads, 225gr @ 2500FPS, in my BLR which is surely lighter than this Super Grade. I expect it to be quite tame with the 225gr Sierra and will hopefully shoot it as well (sub MOA). The rifle was a great shooter prior to the rebore which probably made me ponder on the work for a good two years before going for it.

Attachments

Reactions: jimboro
1 - 20 of 45 Posts