Shooters Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I just recently put my 673/350 up for sale, actually.
I wish I had room in my gun closet, (and the markets hadn't just reduced my retirement funds by several hundred thousand dollars). I'm sure you'll get you money back +, it's a beauty.

I've never found the .358 to be bothersome at the range, and I'm shooting warmish loads, 225gr @ 2500FPS, in my BLR which is surely lighter than this Super Grade. I expect it to be quite tame with the 225gr Sierra and will hopefully shoot it as well (sub MOA). The rifle was a great shooter prior to the rebore which probably made me ponder on the work for a good two years before going for it.
That recoil thing! ?? It's surprising what the effect is on different people. I traded my .M70/.375 to get my CDL Whelen, and the recoil was less, but not by a huge amount. But I've introduced shooters to "deer rifles", like my M336/.30-30, and even a couple big guys thought the recoil was viscous. Ya never know. Having pulled the trigger on a couple of the early M600/.350's, you definitely knew when they went off. The .358 Winchester really isn't much of a step down in recoil, and they are often chambered in lighter guns. An inexperienced shooter, or an AR fanatic is gonna think it kicks like an angry mule. My 7600 Whelen is topped with a peep sight, my rain gun for elk. It weighs barely more than 6lbs loaded and ready to hunt. Even with the Pachmyar Decelerator pad it kicks, right up there with the .375 H&H.

It depends. But I'm sure there's plenty of brave souls out there that regretted not grabbing one of the 673's that will be glad to see yours. ;)

·
Registered
967 Posts
You folks have created a problem for me. Not sure why, but a .358 has had my interest for the past 6 months or so. I basically like 3 rifles--Pre-64 M70's; Savage 99's; and my own custom Mausers (96 & 98) that I stock with McMillan Pre-64 Winchester clone stocks. I do have a Winchester M71. All that said, this thread has caused me to start hitting the GunBroker site hard till I can find the Savage 99 that I want in .358. You folks are responsible for this problem. Shame on you!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Wow, that is very nice. I had Jess do a 9.3 X 62 for me. I just ordered some brass and bullets as I only have one box of loaded (minus the ones I fired with no recoil pad). :D

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a great conversion and a beautiful rifle to inflict it on.
One of many that I let get away was a Ruger 77RS .358 Win with a factory 20" barrel. <I should be slapped!>
Yes you should. I traded a 77 RSI in 243 for a 77 RSI in 250-3000 savage. Wished I kept the 243 and just bought the 250. You don't see a !or of the Mannlicher stocked rifles and if they suit you, you should buy every one you see. I currently have the Ruger, a CZ550 VS in 9.3x62 and an original Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56. The older I get the more I am attracted to older models. Nothing beats the feeling of bringing a 100+ year old rifle back to life.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was sorta surprised that the 673/.350 RM didn't do a bit better. It's not a super seller, historically, but the .350 RM with a 225gr Sierra is prime elk medicine in a very handy package. Really just a short fat Whelen.

But, somehow, the .358 caliber rounds just bite too hard for the average shooter, maybe ?
Not if you were brought up on 12 gauge slugs.😂

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,434 Posts
I could see 5 groove, but are odd groove barrels really more accurate than even?

I'm asking because I've not seen that they are.

Pressure? Maybe?

RJ

·
Registered
208 Posts
Since I am probably older than most of you on this board, I well remember when the Remington 600 was introduced in an assortment of standard calibers including such oddities as the .244 Remington. It was a great seller, Short, light, handy, and accurate with a nylon ventilated rib and nylon floor plate.. It was such a success, that Remington decided to up the ante by introducing another duo of rifles based on the 600 action with a racy looking laminated stock dubbed the 600 Magnum.. Chambered in the 6.5 MM Remington Mag and the .350 Remington Mag coupled with an 18 1/2" barrel. The 358 Magnum was billed as the most powerful production rifle for its size, and was nicknamed the "Thunderstick". Conventional wisdom suggests that Remington simply scared away the 350 Rem, Mag customers with the overblown hype. The 6.5 Remington had its own problems trying to satisfy velocity expectations with an 18 1/2" barrel. Remington went back to the drawing board and reincarnated the 600 Magnum as the 660 Magnum. The barrel was lengthened to 20" in an effort to tone down the noise and help the anemic velocity of the 6.5. A black plastic forend grip was added and the nylon rib was scuttled. Too little too late. In addition there were reputed safety problems, and there guns were subject to factory recall. The damage was done. I personally thought they were interesting rifles. I have a model 600 in .35 Remington, and it is an excellent stalking rifle. I had a 600 Magnum in 6.5 Remington Magnum which was a nice little rifle with the most atrocious muzzle blast I had encountered. I still have two 660 Magnums in .350 Remington Mag., which is an excellent cartridge for a short rifle, and a ballistic twin of the .35 Whelen. I glass bedded one, and use it as my bear rifle. It will group Nosler 225 gr. partitions under an inch at 100 yards. Recoil is very tolerable and not excessive in my opinion.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,773 Posts
RJ - Don't you dare laugh at "older that most of you on this board". !!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
To add some to Tnhunter's reply, the 3-groove barrel is standard for all of JES' rebores, it is what you get for the $250 baseline fee. Jesse offers 4 and 5 groove rifling as well for $25 extra. Before sending my two rifles to him I did a fair bit of research with his prior customers and based on their inputs decided to go with the standard 3-groove.

I am not certain of this but I think maybe Jesse's equipment is set up to do a particular twist for each of the bores he offers. Either that, or just leaving them set up for a particular bore/twist combo saves time and lets him keep his prices so reasonable. If so, the 1:12 gives the greatest flexibility in the 35 Whelen, allowing one to go up to 275 or 300 grain bullets. From what I have heard, most custom Whelen builds go with either 14" or 12" twist (mine's a 14"). The 225 TSX is the heaviest .358 bullet Barnes makes because any heavier mono bullet won't consistently stabilize in the 16" twist that was used in the Remington barrels.
I don't think too many folks shoot >250 grains in their .358 Win, and most shoot less. so a slower twist would certainly work fine but I don't think the 1:12 does any harm.

Looking forward to hearing how your "new" rifle shoots! I'm starting to work up for my M99 .358 after a decade plus hiatus, and if successful may use it for my elk hunt this fall.

Cheers,
Rex

EDIT - And Recoil Junky, I forgot to add - it's really interesting that your M99 is a 16" twist. Mine is right about 12.5:1 - I just carefully measured it last week. Interesting. My .358 barrel is marked "Series A" and is not original to the M99E I have it installed on. I got the barrel as "new old stock" and had Frank Wells of Tucson install it on the 99E (formerly a .308) in 2007.
You got me thinking so I went to my bullet stash and I found a n old box of Hornady 275 grain round noses. Will have to swage them and try them in my 9x56.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,434 Posts
RJ - Don't you dare laugh at "older that most of you on this board". !!!
Only a few giggles kdub. I am over 60 now you know.

RJ

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Not if you were brought up on 12 gauge slugs.😂
If I include crop control shooting, I've bumped off a couple hundred deer with shotgun slugs. Maybe more.

Not much fun, but it's a good way to test a lot of different slugs. They are not all the same, and neither is the recoil.

The Federal 3"/1.25 oz magnums are pretty mean. I have whats left of a hundred 3" Remington Buck Hammers, same as the Federals in my pair of 870's. The plain Remington Sluggers, and the Magnum and Hi Velocity 2.75" loads, (and those from Federal, Winchester, etc. are pretty much the same) are far less brutal.

Sighting in various slug loads from a bench rest, some of the "Magnum" versions are every bit as mean as a .375 H&H, shooting both guns side by side. The milder legacy loads are about equal to a light weight .30-06.

Another it depends,

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If I include crop control shooting, I've bumped off a couple hundred deer with shotgun slugs. Maybe more.

Not much fun, but it's a good way to test a lot of different slugs. They are not all the same, and neither is the recoil.

The Federal 3"/1.25 oz magnums are pretty mean. I have whats left of a hundred 3" Remington Buck Hammers, same as the Federals in my pair of 870's. The plain Remington Sluggers, and the Magnum and Hi Velocity 2.75" loads, (and those from Federal, Winchester, etc. are pretty much the same) are far less brutal.

Sighting in various slug loads from a bench rest, some of the "Magnum" versions are every bit as mean as a .375 H&H, shooting both guns side by side. The milder legacy loads are about equal to a light weight .30-06.

Another it depends,
Agree! My very first deer hunting was done some 50 years ago using a Winchester M370 single shot 12ga. with slugs. For better(?) or worse, it has likely given me something of tolerance for recoil. I've fired Buckhammers and they do have some significant recoil. I normally do all my deer hunting with a rifle today, using cartridges I like but many call "overkill"...lol. The .358 (obviously), .35 Whelen, .350 RM, 9.3x62, .375Win, .338mag, .444, 45-70 & .450 have all been used sucessfully on deer, black bear or hogs in the last decade or so. Most all multiple times.

Just because, I decided I had to have one of the nice Browning A-Bolt 12ga SGs last year. I bought a few different types of slugs to try and settled on the Remington 3" Accutip, a .58cal 385gr sabot with tipped bonded bullet @ 1900 FPS. The recoil is pretty stout, more than any of the rifles just listed, including the 6 3/4 lb .450. The performance is quite impressive, giving over 3,000 FPE at the muzzle (like that 1 1/4oz Fed) along with a 200yrd MPBR.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts