Shooters Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
My current .358 is a stainless, synthetic Ruger Hawkeye with a Leopold 3-9. It doesn't get out of the safe much, but when it does it's dead on target. I had another .358 in a Browning BLR light but the finish was so nice and it kicked a lot harder than the Ruger. I ended up parting with it to pick up a 1914 Parker Brothers double 12 gauge.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wish I had room in my gun closet, (and the markets hadn't just reduced my retirement funds by several hundred thousand dollars). I'm sure you'll get you money back +, it's a beauty.

That recoil thing! ?? It's surprising what the effect is on different people. I traded my .M70/.375 to get my CDL Whelen, and the recoil was less, but not by a huge amount. But I've introduced shooters to "deer rifles", like my M336/.30-30, and even a couple big guys thought the recoil was viscous. Ya never know. Having pulled the trigger on a couple of the early M600/.350's, you definitely knew when they went off. The .358 Winchester really isn't much of a step down in recoil, and they are often chambered in lighter guns. An inexperienced shooter, or an AR fanatic is gonna think it kicks like an angry mule. My 7600 Whelen is topped with a peep sight, my rain gun for elk. It weighs barely more than 6lbs loaded and ready to hunt. Even with the Pachmyar Decelerator pad it kicks, right up there with the .375 H&H.

It depends. But I'm sure there's plenty of brave souls out there that regretted not grabbing one of the 673's that will be glad to see yours. ;)
I think a lot of people’s problems with recoil are caused by improper mounting and holding the gun, especially on the bench. Can’t tell you how many I see at the range that hold the gun very loosely. Just asking for a good belt in the cheek. Don’t see that issue with shooters that shoot shotguns a lot. Just my observations.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I just recently put my 673/350 up for sale, actually

Hello neighbor,

Do you still have that 673? If so, we may be able to make some medicine.

Your 358 is a great looking rifle and more impressive to me is the concept- I think if I'd taken the time to figure it out, I would have done likewise with a model 7; and you know I still may. Its not like I don't have the time- A man can't get any more retired than I am this minute.

I'd recommend the 225 Nosler, but I am sure that you have already given that one a check ride, and know what it will do. I'm using H4895, and it seems to do ok. Ok enough that I am not going to mess with it.

Otherwise, its good to see you old friend.

Steve

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks for the note! A very good hunting Buddy from Georgia bought my 673 in .350. I'm trying to convince him to use it on our September Maine Bear hunt! (If it doesn't get cancelled 🙄)

I sure hope we can still go and get away from the Wuhan Virus rhetoric!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have shot my 673 and 600 both in 200 gr factory and both in 350 RM. The 600 is harder to sight in and it does have a bit more recoil. But you can shoot it from your own two feet better than on the bench and not feel as much recoil. Be Well, Bandto.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts