Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Brian,

Well, it looks like some serious load development is in order here!

First observation would be to suggest using powders with a slower burning rate if you want to reach top velocities.   Cast bullets need a lower pressure curve than do jacketed bullets if you are to acheive gilt edge accuracy.

I would recommend using these as starting loads when reduced 5%, and seating the bullets as you have, as far out of the case as possible in relationship to the throat length of your rifle.  Accuracy with the .416" cartridges is generally very easy to acheive with cast bullets.   Begin with a 2200 fps load and work up!

75.0g IMR 4064/WLRP/2250 fps 23" Bbl.
67.0g IMR 4320/WLRP/2325 fps 23" Bbl.
68.5g AA#2520/WLRP/2265 fps 23" Bbl.

This should give you something else to work upon.

Hope it helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Brian,

Moose's suggestion of the "M" die is fundamental to bottle-neck cast bullets.   I didn't mention it, as I thought you were probably already using one!  Get an "M" die and you'll see your group sizes shrink.  It facilitates concentric bullet seating and prevents lead shaving from the case mouth.   Yes, well chamfered cases help, but won't eliminate the lead shaving that happens during bullet seating.

If you don't find the die you need in Lyman's catalog or their website www.lymanprducts.com, then call their customer service at 1-800-22 LYMAN.  Talk to Karen Griffin, she is their customer service manager, tell her I sent you, and they can custom make you a die fairly quickly and reasonably!

Moose made a great point and one to follow up on!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 2 of 2 Posts